Medcoder03

Brain Mri And Celiac

Rate this topic

Hello,

Does anyone know if the neurologists can see anything abnormal on a brain MRI for Celiac?

Thanks,

Angela

If you have gluten ataxia then they will often be able to see what are called UBOs or unidentified bright objects. They look like bright white spots. Unfortunately many neurologist are not aware of what they are and they can at times be mistaken for the lesions found with MS. When they are mistaken for MS lesions a spinal tap can rule out MS if the debris caused by the MS lesions is not found in the spinal fluid.

An mri can show cerebellar atrophy (shrinkage of the cerebellum).

Checkout celiacbrain.com

I had one of the most bizarro-land experiences of my life with this brain MRI thing years ago. Doctors office calls me up and the office dweeble tells me I have brain lesions, but won't give me any details because this office makes you come see the doctor for test results. And there is a wait of weeks to months between appointments. She cancels, or rather, her office cancels an appt on me without warning. Finally get in to see The Neurologist from He((

Gee Takala I wonder if we shared the same neuro. Mine told me the lesions meant nothing and I just wanted to be sick. Then gave me a script for an antidepressant. Another one did electromylograms on my legs (where they stick needles in your legs and then put a current through them. One leg was almost normal but the other showed no electrical impulses going through at all. The tech called her in immediately but the neuro said it meant nothing and sent me on my way even though I had difficulty moving the leg and needed a cane to walk. I didn't find out what the UBOs meant until years later when I started doing my own research. To bad as some of the permanent damage could have been prevented if I had been diagnosed at the time they did the MRI since it would be another 4 or 5 years until I was finally diagnosed.

I often wonder if I had another MRI done now if the lesions would still be present since I have recovered movement and balance issues have resolved.

I was diagnosed with a very slow growing brain tumour in 2009 and had two MRI's within months of each other. I was diagnosed with gluten ataxia at the end of last year and had an MRI just a few short months ago. In the space of two and a half years (still eating gluten) , I had additional brain lesions or unidentified bright white spots.

My neurologist said it's common in people with problems with gluten. He also said it's nothing to worry about but now that I'm thinking about it, what the hell does that mean?!!!! Any lesion in the brain must affect some kind of neural functioning! :lol: