bkjkc

More Confused Than Ever

Rate this topic

My husband has been pretty sick the last 3 weeks with major explosive gas and diarrhea. Been to a few different docs and ruled out parasites and other infections. Doc ran a celiac panel. Here are the results:

Tissue Transglutaminase IgA: 11

Anti Gliadin Deamidated IGG AB: 2

Anti Gliadin Deamidated IGA AB: 7

Immunoglobulin IgA: 287

I am so confused. The doc said possible celiac but these numbers confuse me. He had a colonoscopy last Friday so we are waiting for those results. Thoughts? Thanks!

I don't know about the blood test results...I think you need to know the range...from the lab.

But I do know that it takes an endoscopy that goes through the mouth and stomach to test for Celiac disease. The colonoscopy can diagnose other things but not Celiac. Others who know more about testing will answer you soon I am sure. Welcome and good luck to both of you.

I don't know about the blood test results...I think you need to know the range...from the lab.

But I do know that it takes an endoscopy that goes through the mouth and stomach to test for Celiac disease. The colonoscopy can diagnose other things but not Celiac. Others who know more about testing will answer you soon I am sure. Welcome and good luck to both of you.

Sorry. I should have posted the ranges. The first three say normal range is 0-19. The last test says 71-263. There are so many differing opinions it is hard to know what is really "normal". The doc said he also biopsied a part of the small intestine during the colonoscopy so we shall see. Appt Thursday afternoon. Thanks, all.

All of his test were within normal range, nothing to indicate celiac there. A full celiac panel was not done however, and it is possible for the other tests to be positive still.

Colonoscopy biopsies can NOT show celiac. It is a common misconception among doctors that they can for some reason. The opposite end of intestine needs to be biopsies, the duodenum, which is near the top of the small intestine. In order to take biopsies from there, they must do an endoscopy.

Your husbands symptoms certainly could point to celiac however, and kudos to your doc for thinking to check. Most docs are ignorant of the prevalence and will rarely think to test an adult.

Your husband could also have developed non-celiac gluten intolerance. Exact same symptoms, and same treatment. Gluten free for life. Unfortunately, their is no way to "test" for ncgi.

When your husband has all of his tests done, definitely trial a gluten-free diet. He may get significant relief. For now, keep him eating normally. Changing his diet before testing is complete (including endoscopy) can cause a false negative.

I hope you get some answers soon. Welcome to the boards.

I correct myself, his total IGA was a bit high. I re-read the ranges. That may or may not be a red flag, but isn't necessarily a marker of celiac.