This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Diseases Were You Diagnosed With After Your Celiac Diagnosis?

Newbee

Newbee Contributor

I've been gluten free for over 13 months after being diagnosed with celiac disease. I have a lot of damage in my system and may have had celiac most of my life (I'm 38 now). I'm continuing to have issues even though I'm grain free and take a lot of vitamins. I'm curious what diseases others were diagnosed with AFTER their celiac diagnosis. I think I have other stuff going on. Trying to figure out what it might be and what to do about it. Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

nvsmom Community Regular

I too believe I was celiac my entire 38 years, and was diagnosed only a couple of months ago.

When I was 19, I developed ITP where my white blood cells mark my platelets to be attacked so I couldn't clot anymore. That almost got me, and resulted in my spleen being removed (spleen kilss whatever the white blood cells attach to). A couple of years later, I thought I was getting RA (even have posite RH factor) but the symptoms went away after a few months; now I guess it was a celiac response.

Less than a month ago I found out my thyroid is quitting on me. I'm guessing it's Hashimoto's but my doctor won't label it at this point... don't quite know why if he's not worried about it being anything else. :rolleyes:

So that's three autoimmune diseases for me at this point. :unsure: At least they were recoverable. :blink:

mopsiecat Rookie

I have Hashimoto's and diabetes. My celiac symtoms started three years before the thyroid problem was discovered. Celiac went undiagnosed for eight years. Now for a year I've been pre diabetic. Two of my siblings have celiac, they also have the Hashimotos, and one is also pre diabetic. It does seem that these things go together.

GottaSki Mentor

I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease at 43 - I am certain I had it my entire life but was dismissed because all of my blood tests were "normal" with the exception of anemia for decades.

When I removed gluten, many of my digestive symptoms improved. Unfortunately my fatigue, joint/muscle pain, fogginess (memory problems and difficulty speaking the words I was thinking) and a few other symptoms got worse or I just was able to identify them better because I wasn't bloated with digestive issues.

At 7 months gluten-free I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. It is my belief that Fibro is caused by the body not absorbing the nutrients it needs to function which is caused by Celiac Disease.

Have you tried removing other foods? There are other groups of foods that those with severe celiac damage may not be able to tolerate - which slows healing of the digestive system. The most common are Dairy, Grains, Legumes, Nightshades (tomato, peppers, potato and eggplant). Other folks have problems with eggs, certain fruits, nuts or seeds.

Finding patience is tough when the healing is slow or seems non-existant - hang in there and keep looking for answers :)

Newbee Contributor

I have following the SCD diet which is helping but not addressing everything. And ok, I have to admit I've been eating stuff on that diet I shouldn't (like chocolate). I've been wondering about thyroid. And I think I have issues digesting sugar anyway so should probably avoid it regardless if I'm diabetic or not. I feel like I'm at a turning point and I'll either recover from these health problems or they were get worse and kill me. And doctors have not been much help. It is a hard burden to carry. :(

beebs Enthusiast

Connective tissue disease. Possible RA or psoriatic arthritis - time will tell. I believe it was probably trigger by eating gluten my whole life when I had celiac symptoms as far back as 6 or 7 years old.

Archived