1desperateladysaved

Helping Others With Gluten Tolerance

Rate this topic

It happened to me the other day. I ate hotdogs with no gluten in their label, but my body said there is a problem. I know there is a chance that it was something other than the hotdog, but nothing else seemed likely. There is no reason for a hotdog to have gluten, but this one clearly said "gluten free." .

I sat down at my computer to e-mail the hotdog company. My daughter was whining at me for doing so.

I did it for you. If I can prevent someone else from having a problem I want to. I know some get deathly ill.

I merely asked the company to verify if gluten gets into their meat. I also asked what is in the salt they put in their product. I have noticed that anti-caking agents can be a problem for me. I told them that I would like to continue eating their product, but I need to know it is safe. I asked them to check for cross contamintion. I asked them to verify whether the gluten free label should go on their hotdogs and remove it if they find it shouldn't.

Do you write companies and what kinds of responses do you get? Maybe you prevented me from suffering a time or two?

Thanks

You say you did this for me. Please don't do me any more favors.

Two facts are known:

1. You ate hotdogs.

2. You felt ill later.

You don't know for sure if the hotdogs were what made you feel ill. Even if it was them, you don't know for sure that gluten is the cause.

If I ate hotdogs (plural), I don't know how well I would feel. One is plenty for me.

When companies get complaints like this, they likely ask themselves, "Why do we label our products gluten-free? All it does is cause issues."

The likely result is fewer choices for us.

• Upvote 2

This isn't meant to be mean. You are on here alot with foods you think have made you sick with gluten. Have you had a week of gluten-free and feeling good? I am wondering if you are reacting to gluten or just haven't healed.

Perhaps you should skip all the pre-made stuff and stick to fresh or frozen fruit, veggies, plain meats, rice for a few weeks. When you start feeling better, you can try more complex foods, like bread or hot dogs, one at a time.

If I remember, you live with a lot of young folks and a hub who eat gluten? Perhaps you are getting some cc from them. Or left over stuff on the grill or colanders?

• Upvote 3

In addition to the great responses you already got you also have to remember that we can have delayed reactions. It isn't always the last thing we ate before we got sick that glutened us. It can be something we ate as long as a few days before. You are pretty new to the diet and the advice to eat more whole naturally gluten free foods is a good one. Leave the processed stuff alone as much as you can for at least couple months.

• Upvote 1

Oh, I was stupid enough to have reacted to these hotdogs atleast 2 times. I forgot, until I reacted again to stay away.

:( I feel so sad, maybe you misunderstood? I wrote the company encouraging and inquiring, not accusing and ordering. I am hoping they verify attention to everything necessary to serve celiacs. They must be trying or they wouldn't label it gluten free. I also relayed to them that my family and I have enjoyed weiner roasts, with their hotdogs, for several years and would like to continue doing so. If I find they are free of cross contamination and after some time and another try, I will shout their name to you!

Thanks for the concern about my food. I would not eat a regular hotdog if I were starving.

My diet has been worked and reworked over 30 years of undiagnosed Celiac. Beef is a part of my diet and the hotdog had beef and other good ingredients. I raise vegetables, chicken, and eggs and buy beef from a local farmer. The hotdogs may just be the only processed food that I have used anytime recently.

I may be new to gluten free. I am not new to cooking from scratch and healthy diet. I know the hotdog word sort of raises red flags? I know if my friend said she was eating hotdogs I might grimace to myself.

<_< I had 3 small cookies in the last 5 years. I confess! I believe that was 5 years ago; I haven't felt the need sense. Maybe one day I can have more fun again? If the gluten free diet continues to heal me. Then again, the peach upside down muffins I made last night were sweet enough for me! Even my husband liked them.

My husband is starting to see that I am telling the truth. My symptoms coming and going are more visable than ever. My family cooking outside is working for me. I eat by myself, if they are having something smelly I have a problem with or gluteny. Most times they eat what I fix.

Off to make some more gluten free beans!

I have only tried hot dogs once since going gluten-free. These were organic bison hot dogs. They were gluten-free and I got REALLY sick from them. They tasted SO good I ate two. About an hour or so later I had to close the shop and go home where I proceeded to vomit for the rest of the evening.

It was the spices. I had been eating bland foods and wasn't healed enough to handle those spices. Now that I have been gluten-free for almost 15 months and am starting to gain back other foods I lost, such as corn and potatoes, I plan on, not right away but within the next few weeks, trying them again. If they still don't work I'll know I still have some healing to do.

• Upvote 2