Rate this topic

I posted a few days ago and was told which blood screens I should ask for. After emailing my doctor she called in blood work for a celiac panel (I hope it's all of the tests yall told me about) .. But my dilemma is I have insurance with my county and I pay co-pays (my husbands insurance is to expensive to add me) well mine expires at the end of this month and I won't be able to reapply. However I had a appointment with a gastronologist in november but won't be able to go now since I won't have insurance..

So my question is.. If the blood tests come back positive for Celiac can I safely assume I have celiac disease and start a gluten free lifestyle ??

So my question is.. If the blood tests come back positive for Celiac can I safely assume I have celiac disease and start a gluten free lifestyle ??

Yes. :)

Biopsies are not as commonly used as they used to be. Many doctors don't deem them as a necessary step in the diagnostic process. In fact my doctor, who I don't consider to be an overly progressive kind of guy, diagnosed me as celiac with positive blood tests.

I think biopsies are helpful for those who have questionable (or surprisingly negative) tests, who might have a tough time following a gluten-free diet unless they know they're celiac "beyond a shadow of a doubt".

Yes.

If your test comes back positive, I would call gastroenterology and let them know you've had a positive test for Celiac Disease and would like to move your November appointment up if at all possible for two reasons:

1) your insurance expiring

2) no one should have to wait over two months to move along the Celiac Disease diagnosis process as you shouldn't remove gluten until all the testing is done.

Ask to speak to a GI nurse about moving your appt, not the scheduling staff. If they will not get you in this month, then remove ALL gluten immediately. Even if your tests are negative and you have symptoms, you should remove ALL gluten for 3-6 months and watch for improvement - this is often the most accurate test.

Good Luck to you :)

Yes you can be diagnosed with blood tests alone. My son had a Ttg/Iga and tested positive. The nurse called and said the Dr. says he is Celiac and no further testing is needed.

Vitamin levels were already checked.