Rate this topic

My 8 year old son was diagnosed with celiac disease 6 months ago by blood test and biopsy. His ttg test result was 168 when he was diagnosed. After 6 months on a gluten free diet his ttg came back at 31! I am so happy and impressed that it came down so much. I've been so worried about cross contamination that it is nice to know that we are on the right track. So now I guess we just keep doing what we're doing and hope it keeps coming down.

One question - he still has loose stools. The dr. is going to do a stool test on him to check for other things but since he added height and weight and is otherwise doing well he doesn't think it is anything else and is just that his intestines need more time to heal. Has anybody else had the loose stools stick around this long? How long did it take to get a "normal" bm?

Thanks!

Melissa

Try a really good probiotic. I swear by Custom Probiotics. Thye sent me a 1 month trial for free. Within 4 days of being on it, my DS had his first normal BM f his life (he was 3 months gluten-free and 4 almost 4 years old).

Great work on the gluten-free diet!!!

It took me a full 18 months on a strict gluten-free diet before I stopped having loose stools. What made all the difference, though, was taking Probiotic Pearls and Metagenics UltraClear Sustain, which my doctor prescribed. I started taking both at 17 months, and a month later I felt like a new person--perfectly formed stools and felt great. The Metagenics product contains L-Glutamine and a lot of nutritional elements. If anything, you should add L-glutamine, which is helpful in healing the gut.

I give him Culturelle Kids Chewable Probiotic everyday. We've been doing that for about 6 weeks or so and it hasn't seemed to have made much difference. Do you think it another brand would be better?

I can't answer your question, but I did want to say "hooray" on the lower ttg #s. It's a lot of work, and you and your son are clearly doing a good job!

if he is not dairy free, try kefir. wide spectrum probiotic. if that doesn't work, or he won't drink it, lol. check out other brands, try getting different mixes of bacteria. Maybe even alternate brands to cover that. and there is also the possibility of needing digestive enzymes.

Really, the Metagenics product may solve his problem. At recent national celiac conferences, I've seen the company's booths set up...so it appears that its use is becoming more commonplace with celiacs. Back when it was prescribed for me, it wasn't well known, but, thankfully, my doctor was aware of it.

Really, the Metagenics product may solve his problem. At recent national celiac conferences, I've seen the company's booths set up...so it appears that its use is becoming more commonplace with celiacs. Back when it was prescribed for me, it wasn't well known, but, thankfully, my doctor was aware of it.

Thanks for the advice. I'll look into the Metagenics. :)

My dd is lactose intolerant and that gives get loose stools sometimes. She hates lactaid and says "I'll just suffer the consequences". Haha. It doesn't cramp do she doesn't care. Congrats on his numbers! You are doing a great job!