bartfull

Met Another Celiac Last Night

Rate this topic

It was one of those home parties where they sell stuff. This one has a lot of cookware and they cook right there to demonstrate what the cookware can do. The representative didn't eat, and when she told the hostess that she COULDN'T, the hostess replied, "Oh, you must have celiac like Bartfull."

She does. She is new to it and was very sick, hospitalized for quite a while. It seems she almost died. Now she is still struggling and I sat and talked to her for quite a while. I told her to come here and read as much as she can, starting with "Newbie 101" of course. Right now she is reacting to lots of different foods (like bananas, pork, and some other fruits and veggies). I told her about my struggle and promised her it would get easier.

And then I booked a party. She is going to do my entire party gluten-free! She is bringing recipes and gathering up gluten-free ingredients, and not only will I be able to eat everything she cooks at my party, but maybe I will learn how to cook a little better myself. And my friends might learn how to cook gluten-free too so when I go to their houses I will be able to eat there.

You know how everybody has these home parties and we all go, but we don't REALLY want to? Well, this one turned out to be a great experience, and I'm so glad I went. :)

Sweets,

You had one of those of those "very cool beans AHA moments" in life where you meet someone and it has a ripple effect. :)

We never know what may happen, whom we will meet, what we will learn or how we will influence others on a day-to-day basis.

Another celiac to "hang out with" and share recipes and spend time with? Oh baby, that's priceless! :)

Enjoy your new friend ---and the party--- and possibly, a budding friendship. Wish I lived near you; I'd come to your party, too.

xxoo IH

Very cool...and a great way to share awareness! B)

Bartful,

First of all . . . YaY for you and Yay for her, too. I'm sure you'll be able to teach her a lot.

I hope I'm not raining on your parade :unsure: but I also want to warn you. I don't know if this is "Pampered Chef" or not (that's what it sounds like) but if it is, they cook with stoneware all the time. You don't wash the stoneware. You scrape it off and then rinse it. You don't use soap on it because it can absorb it (it's porous). It's suppose to absorb the fats from the stuff you bake/cook as it seasons the stone. So . . . if she's using her old stoneware, it's contaminated. Also, you need to let her know that she could be cc'ing herself right and left. Hopefully, I'm wrong and it's not Pampered Chef.

If this is the case, don't let it stop you from having this party!! There are still plenty of things you/she can make . . . just takes a little planning as do all things in a gluten-free life :)

We are everywhere! My dental hygenist noticed on my records that I am Celiac and said her God-daughter (aged three) had just been diagnosed. I told her about a few good treats (particularly Betty Crocker brownies) and said have her mother call me. We will get together for a learning session soon.I really think helping each other is the greatest. That is one reason I am so devoted to this site.

Nope. It's not Pampered Chef, it's "Celebrating Home". The cookware is stoneware but it has a "non-stick" glaze. It's not Teflon or anything. It looks like any glazed pottery but it holds either heat from the oven or cold from the freezer for at least three hours so you can bring stuff to a party and it'll stay the right temperature. And you do wash it so I know there won't be any CC. She cooked a Betty Crocker chocolate cake in one of them in five minutes in the microwave! It was a regular cake mix that took three eggs, just like if you baked it in the oven. Everybody said it was delicious. I imagine we will have a gluten-free Betty Crocker cake at my party.

They have a lot of other stuff besides cookware too. Beautiful home furnishings, candles, baskets, Christmas items. I could spend THOUSANDS of dollars on stuff from their catalog, but of course I won't. I WILL get some free stuff and steep discounts for hosting a party though. But the best part is that it'll be gluten-free. I'm going to actually advertise it in our local newspaper so that other celiacs in our town can come. It may just turn into a support group!

But the best part is that it'll be gluten-free. I'm going to actually advertise it in our local newspaper so that other celiacs in our town can come. It may just turn into a support group!

That's a great idea, Barty! Enjoy!

Nope. It's not Pampered Chef, it's "Celebrating Home". The cookware is stoneware but it has a "non-stick" glaze.

I'm glad to hear it!! I haven't heard of "Celebrating Home" . . . maybe it's new or maybe it's a regional thing. I'll have to go google it and take a look at their products. I'm a sucker for the cooking stuff . . . even though there is no more room in my kitchen ;)

Hope it's successful and you earn a bunch of freebies.