1desperateladysaved

Iga False Negative To Gluten And Other Known Problems

Rate this topic

I remember reading that Celiacs often false negative on the IGA tests. My tests were all about 0 antibodies. Please just assume that we know that I have allergies/intolerances to atleast some of the foods/airborne allergies on the test. Why do Celiacs have false negative tests?

This is one area that needs more research - there are people that are diagnosed by positive endoscopic biopsy that have all negative blood work. Current testing is not yet accurate enough. Here are two reasons I can think of for false negatives with current tests:

Time gluten-free before blood draw.

Insufficient IgA - this is the reason for the Total Serum IgA blood test. If a person doesn't have sufficient IgA, they can't make the antibodies that are tested for in the tTG IgA and other IgA tests of the celiac blood panel.

GottaSki: "Insufficient IgA - this is the reason for the Total Serum IgA blood test. If a person doesn't have sufficient IgA, they can't make the antibodies that are tested for in the tTG IgA and other IgA tests of the celiac blood panel."

Would this be an autoimmune problem? Would it be damage to the small intestine? I think I heard that antibodies are manufactored by the small intestine.

Anymore clues?

Diana

Would this be an autoimmune problem? Would it be damage to the small intestine? I think I heard that antibodies are manufactored by the small intestine.

Anymore clues?

Diana

I'm not sure I understand your question.

Being deficient in one immunoglobulin does not mean you can't make antibodies at all. It is possible to have celiac damage with deficient IgA.

It is my understanding that antibodies are created and released by a white blood cells called plasma cells in response to a foreign substance the body perceives as threatening. In Celiac Disease gluten proteins are perceived as the foreign substance - the immune response that follows destroys the intestinal lining.

As far as I know - there has not been enough research to determine the mechanisms that cause symptoms in Non-Celiac Gluten Intolerance.