This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Very Sensitive, Intolerance?

gnna

gnna Newbie

I went to the doctor and tested negative for celiac disease, but when I eat wheat and products with gluten I have a bad reaction. I have cut everything out ofmy diet, and just to see, I ate 2 or 3 desserts with wheat flour. My chest tightened up and I got bad anxiety. So no wheat, then yesterday I forgot about veined cheeses. I bought a salad and good dressing from the store. The dressing had soy sauce and I had a really bad reaction, probably more from the blue cheese. I had a very uncomfortable hot flash, brain fog immediately, and I could literally feel the bloat spread all over my body (still has not gone away the next day), and anxiety, now I feel depressed. This was just from 1 oz of cheese.

Is this a typical reaction? At first I thought the hot flashes I was getting was from high carb foods, but blue cheese doesnt' have hardly any carbs, but I had this terrible reaction. It seems like I am becoming more and more sensitive to gluten, but not celiac? Any thoughts?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Blue chesses are safe for Celiacs. There has been info on this site about it being tested and how it is really made nin modern times.

You say you bought a prepared salad? And a salad dressing with soy sauce which usually has wheat? Was there any meat that may have been marinated? The chances of cc on the salad and the wheat in the soy sauce are probably what got you. Go for the obvious things first

A long article about blue cheese

Open Original Shared Link

nvsmom Community Regular

Sorry you are feeling poorly. :( It sounds like you had a double hit from both the soy sauce and the blue cheese...ouch.

Non-celiac gluten intolerant people can be hit with reactions just as bad as what celiacs get, and with the low false negative rate there is a chance that you could be a celiac... just an impossible to diagnose one.

I personally react from very small amounts of gluten. I once had a supposed gluten-free beer that was started from barley; it was gluten-free to 3 parts per million. I had all of my usual reactions and felt poorly for a week. It doesn't take much... It sounds like you'll have to be very strict with your gluten-free diet. (hugs)

kareng Grand Master

Sorry you are feeling poorly. :( It sounds like you had a double hit from both the soy sauce and the blue cheese...ouch.

Non-celiac gluten intolerant people can be hit with reactions just as bad as what celiacs get, and with the low false negative rate there is a chance that you could be a celiac... just an impossible to diagnose one.

I personally react from very small amounts of gluten. I once had a supposed gluten-free beer that was started from barley; it was gluten-free to 3 parts per million. I had all of my usual reactions and felt poorly for a week. It doesn't take much... It sounds like you'll have to be very strict with your gluten-free diet. (hugs)

We have had the discussion on the barley beer,too. Turns out the tests used to find wheat in food are not s accurate to find barley gluten in beer. When they test witht the corrrect test, it shows higher levels of gluten. The ATF is not allowing barley based beers to be labelled gluten-free any longer.

pullieq2 Newbie

Sorry to hear. But, I know where you're coming from. Im still waiting on my blood results and my biopsy showed nothing, but severe inflammation.

I've been on the diet just over 2 weeks now and I feel tons better. Although, on the 11th day I decided to add a slice of bread with my lunch to see what would happen. Within 15 min I had symptoms. Within 16 hours, I woke from a dead sleep with the worst headache of my entire life. At this point, I don't care what the test says, I'll never touch the stuff again.

Just really make sure you can trust what you're about to eat. I hope you feel better soon. I wish I could offer more in the way of helpful advice, but being so new at this Im still learning. Good Luck!

gnna Newbie

Thanks everyone, it seems like when I try to talk about this stuff with people who don't have issues with food they don't quite understand.

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

Some of us test negative for Celiac, but still have it. I just thought I'd add..be sure to take a good probiotic. If you have any bacterial overgrowth, it will react to the foods you eat and give off toxins that cause bad reactions to your system which can mimic a Celiac reaction. It's especially important to consider when you test negative for Celiac.

It's possible that the soy sauce in the dressing caused your symptoms. Also, many of us react badly to soy after going gluten-free. It's a good idea to keep a food log, listing what you've eaten and brand names of products. List any symptoms you have too. If you have an additional intollerance going on this will help you pin point it. After seeing so many say they react badly to dairy at first. I would keep an eye on that?

I went to the doctor and tested negative for celiac disease, but when I eat wheat and products with gluten I have a bad reaction. I have cut everything out ofmy diet, and just to see, I ate 2 or 3 desserts with wheat flour. My chest tightened up and I got bad anxiety. So no wheat, then yesterday I forgot about veined cheeses. I bought a salad and good dressing from the store. The dressing had soy sauce and I had a really bad reaction, probably more from the blue cheese. I had a very uncomfortable hot flash, brain fog immediately, and I could literally feel the bloat spread all over my body (still has not gone away the next day), and anxiety, now I feel depressed. This was just from 1 oz of cheese.

Is this a typical reaction? At first I thought the hot flashes I was getting was from high carb foods, but blue cheese doesnt' have hardly any carbs, but I had this terrible reaction. It seems like I am becoming more and more sensitive to gluten, but not celiac? Any thoughts?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gatita Enthusiast

My first blood tests were negative and then in a second round only one test was positive. No biopsy for various reasons... So my doctor wasn't sure whether to call it celiac or not.

But as he said, it doesn't matter, one little crumb of gluten and I react!

My point is, if you are "gluten sensitive," you can react as badly as any officially diagnosed celiac.

From experience I know that soy sauce (which usually contains wheat) hits me like a freight train, so that could well be what got you.

And yes, many of us seem to get more and more sensitive to gluten as we go gluten-free.

SensitiveMe Rookie

Earlier this year someone in the house here ordered blue cheese from the Wisconsin Cheeseman catalog. Since he is physically handicapped I have to unpack everything and put it away and prepare all his meals. I was stunned to read on the blue cheese label that it contained wheat. They advertise this blue cheese as fuller than others and with a crumbly, creamy texture ideal for salads and spreads.

Since you said you bought this salad I am questioning whether the blue cheese could have contained wheat. And I suggest you don't eat any blue cheese unless you have purchased it yourself and read the ingredients.

I don't know exactly why Wisconsin Cheeseman is adding wheat to their blue cheese. I have never liked blue cheese so I wasn't going to eat any of this cheese anyway. The person who ate the cheese said it tasted better and it had a better texture than the blue cheese I had bought for him in the past at the store. This was a large wheel of cheese in a waxed container and so I saw the label saying it contained wheat quite a large number of times.

Archived