This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Applebees

Mahee34

Mahee34 Enthusiast

I'm sure this has been posted before BUT i was wondering if Applebees had anything gluten free or if anyone has had any experiences with them?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

skbird Contributor

My experience is that I had a very nice waitress who brought an assistant manager over who was also nice. We consulted, decided on a steak and steamed veggies, then they came back and said the steak had a marinade afterall, so try a plain chicken breast. I gratefully thanked them and had that, the steamed veggies, and asked for some butter to put on the veggies (came scooped, in a little bowl).

I was very sick after that. Don't know what part, but something in there was contaminated. After all that and still getting sick - I won't eat at my local one again. Or any other, for that matter. Better to be safe than sorry with that one.

And everyone was so nice, too...

Stephanie

Guest barbara3675

I eat at Applebys and have the grilled salmon without the sauce. It comes with rice and veggies and have felt fine each time I have had it. The only Applebys that I go to is in Janesville, WI and the manager has a son with allergies and once he came right to the table and got right down to eye level with me. That time I had a very young waiter that seemed nervous. The last time the waitress seemed confident that she could order my meal properly after I explained the situation. I supposed each Applebys would be different according to the manager and the chef, though.

Barbara

Guest gfinnebraska

I do not eat at Applebees ~ I have always been sick afterwards. :( I drink a coke... and leave the rest alone! :ph34r:

frenchiemama Collaborator

I just don't eat there because if you ask them, they state that they don't have anything that's gluten-free. It irks me that they can't be bothered to check their menu and find even 1 or 2 things that would be safe, so I just skip it on principle.

aaascr Apprentice

Prior to my celiac disease dx, I used to attempt to eat there at lunch with my boss. But even with my food allergies it was difficult to find something. The veggies were prepacked with seasonings that I couldn't eat (don't remember what it was). The particular Applebee's where I attempted to have lunch at was not friendly. It was basically a take it or leave it situation - no special considerations. So now, w/celiac disease there's no way I'd eat there.

Mahee34 Enthusiast

Alrighty then, so Applebees is a no go........what' about Garfields or Ruby Tuesdays, anyone have any things to say about there?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

LLCoolJD Newbie

I have worked briefly as a waiter at an Applebee's, and can't think of anything that's gluten-free... hmm. They don't sell baked potatoes. Their grilled chicken comes in a gluten-containing marinade, too, I think. Salmon the same, I suspect.

Garlic mashed potatoes. Those might be gluten-free. Steamed vegetabes, too. But we're just talking a couple of side dishes. Those won't fill you up.

The Bourbon Street Steak might be gluten-free...I can't remember if that was just a promo item, though.

I don't eat out these days. If I had to take a chance, it'd probably be on a steak/baked potato/steamed broccoli/veggies at Ruby Tuesday.

happygirl Collaborator

I also worked at two Applebee's in PA throughout college. Still go in to visit friends and I've learned that most of their stuff is not safe. (I didn't have Celiac when I was there, thank goodness). Their chicken breasts have soy sauce included in their marinade, but they also have completely plain chicken breasts-just have to ask for them.

At the Applebee's I live by now (in VA) I have ordered the Smothered Grilled Chicken (plain chicken breast instead of marinaded, with mushrooms, onions, bell peppers, covered in cheese), and the Santa Fe chicken salad. (Plain chicken, lettuce, tortilla crips, fresh pico de gallo, and the Mexi-Ranch dressing at the time was safe...but those do change). I know I've eaten the House Sirloin there, but I don't remember if I had to ask to have it prepared a certain way or if it was ok normally. They've had Bourbon Street Steaks there as one of their "staples" for years, don't know if its safe either though?

Although Applebee's is a chain, they are franchised, and have different items, and some different suppliers, I learned. The Harrisburg, PA stores used different salad dressings than the Pittsburgh and Penn State franchise.

Used to love Applebee's, but it is no longer my first choice to go out to....but, its survivable.

Archived