This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Swollen Stomach

Janelson

Janelson Apprentice

I only usually know if I ate wheat or gluten because my entire stomch swells. It is awful looking and it usually last about 5 days to a week! I was gluten free or so I thought for 3 days finally! Then yesterday everytime I ate I felt sick! Top it off I drank UV Blue Raseberry Vodka....Any one know if the is gluten-free???? I didnt think it was on the "no list". Anyways so my stomach went from being almost flat to me looking 6 months pregnant, literaly. I came down stairs this morning and my friends that were here almost fell to the floor when they saw my tummy! I just started to cry cause I have only been able to last about 3 to 4 days gluten-free since I have really started to try about 3 months ago. It is so frustrating and I feel so sick right now and I cant afford to take off any more work or school! I was just wondering about the liquor if it is gluten-free or what liquor is not? Also if anyone has a symptoms as bad as mine??

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Eliza13 Contributor

I hear you. I've been glutened....must've been yesterday or today, but I do not feel well. Started with dry mouth and fatigue....and now have diarrhea and nausea. I've decided that I am going to change the way I eat yet again. I'm going to eat plainly...meat, chicken, fish, rice, potatoes, fruit and veggies. It should help with the excess weight and ensure that I do not get glutened. I was doing so well....gluten-free for about 2 weeks and then this happens...go figure. I bought some pork tenderloin and am now wondering if there was anything in it....hmm. This diet is really hard b/c of all the hidden gluten.

Jeepers...feeling sick right now.

Bonnie Explorer

Hi Janelson,

I know exactly how you feel! Do you have any other intolerances?

I ask because my stomach swells terribly from other things too - not just gluten. I have intolerances to rice, seeds, chocolate, sucrose and a couple of other things. The rice makes my stomach huge.

My swollen stomach makes me feel fat and I'm not. I even have 2 different wardrobes - one for fat days and one for flat days!

Before I went gluten-free 6 months ago - it got so bad my ankles and then my face started swelling too.

You should try and stick to a really simple diet for a couple of days, see if that helps and then start introducing things slowly. That way you'll be able to figure out what the problems items are.

Chin up - it will get better!

Yvonne

nettiebeads Apprentice
Top it off I drank UV Blue Raseberry Vodka....Any one know if the is gluten-free???? I didnt think it was  on the "no list".  I was just wondering about the liquor if it is gluten-free or what liquor is not? Also if anyone has a symptoms as bad as mine??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Was it a malt? I know I'm confused about those cooler things too, so I adopted 'when in doubt, do without'. :( I bet Richard knows. I read where we're not to have anything to do with malt because it comes from barley which is a no-no.

I miss my Smirnoff twists, but the label says malt beer and so I walk past it now. I swear my body is becoming more sensitive, but maybe that's good because that means it's healed enough to really protect itself, I guess. So at least I can have my wine and tequila and rum (but not all together :P )

nogluten- Newbie

The stomach swelling is so irritating- and painful. Right now I look like I'm six months pregnant because I ate something bad. It will be flat in the morning, but one mistake and i'm blown up again.

Janelson Apprentice

I wish mine would go away in the morning. It has been swollen since Sunday and will be until friday I am sure. I get so embarassed and feel so uncomfortable! Last night it was so huge my sister wanted to take me to the ER but Ihad to talk her down from her mini freak out. I am just so frustrated I am not even sure what I did wrong. It just happens out of no where I mean during the week I am just huge! Then the weekend it goes down for 2 days and then comes back and I dont eat differently! I dont even want to go to work today because I get so ashamed of how huge my tummy is that i just try to hid from people all day....which never works! So hard to stay so positive when all the odds are against you. I use to drink Vanilla Rum but that mad me sick too.... Anyone know a rum then that is okay...or maybe I am just not allowed to drink anymore...oh great that would go over well with all my friends.

laurelfla Enthusiast
Anyone know a rum then that is okay...or maybe I am just not allowed to drink anymore...oh great that would go over well with all my friends.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

all Bacardi rums are gluten-free. Cruzan rums are ok. malibu rum is gluten-free (yippee!!) and Captain Morgan original spiced rum, silver spiced rum, parrot bay, and private stock are all good.

and i just learned today that Crown Royal is fine. score!

this info is all from the Open Original Shared Link list.

so drink up! B)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Billygoat Apprentice

Tummy bloat is really embarrassing to deal with. It never fails. Every year before we take our family trip to the beach I get glutened the few days before. Forget wearing a bikini when you look 5 months preggers. My husband finds it rather humorous (as he's wanting us to get pregnant soon), but it sure doesn't make you feel sexy.

angelsea Newbie

Good for me to read all this (not that I mean I'm glad you've all got the belly bloat!). Helps to know I'm not the only one and gives some credence to one of the reasons I sought a diagnosis (which is still pending). My hubby says I've had a bit of a tummy as long as he's known me, but it really blossomed a couple of years after I had my son in 1997 (did regain my figure somewhat after that). I used to be able to wake up in the morning with a somewhat flat stomach which would start to round out again as soon as I ate something (of course, I wasn't paying any attention to what it was). Now it's out there (yep, about 5 or 6 months pregnant looking) all the time. What a difference from when I was pregnant with my daughter in 1990 and I swear up until I was about 6 months that I could wear this one size 4 skirt and could spin it around me, it was that loose. Hoping to find the solution to deflating this thing soon!

Eliza13 Contributor

My stomach has been as big as a house all week. I was pretty sure that I got glutened on Sunday. I think it was the pork I ate, since it had a strange ingredient BUT it does not appear to be a typical gluten-containing ingredient so I am confused. I am beginning to think that maybe I am allergic to pork, and that is what is making my tummy huge. Any thoughts on the pork thing?

Skar.

Guest BellyTimber

Skarlet,

What was in the pork besides ... pork?

If you eat pork with something added & it doesn't agree then you don't know whether it was the pork or the something else - hence plain items are easier to observe and learn from.

Pork is something some people don't get on with - and there are the proverbial strange dreams if it is eaten late.

There can always be one-off occasions we have a reaction to a dish like anyone.

I find I cannot get on with chicken without some kind of digestive trouble, I used to have problems with rice and beef but they have got a lot better since I went gluten-free-WF.

Guest BellyTimber

Janelle,

Do you have scope to cook foods yourself? If you keep them simple and know what goes in them - or eat where there is a chef who is up front about these things - you can work out what causes trouble.

I describe myself as having been WF-gluten-free nearly 3 years but have much to learn in practice about the art of avoiding troublesome ingredients. Generally I don't feel very fit yet awhile.

I get a distended stomach for about 1-2 days, every few weeks and am not sure what the cause is.

Digestive enzymes and probiotics have helped some people including me. I'm told alcohol being empty carbohydrates can cause a deficiency in these which will vary from person to person.

Hoping things improve for you,

morrigan Newbie

I have the same problem of the stomach bloating, and the swelling in most of my body when I get glutened. The problem is that I have been getting glutened every so often no matter how hard I try to be gluten free. I have wondered if it is also somthing else wrong but as I have read here that I have pretty normal sympotoms for this disease and nothing out of the ordinary so that may just be one of the symptoms that you also get.

Canadian Deb Newbie

I have had alot of the same stuff going on. I was gluten-free for about 2 years and still didn't feel right and then recently started noticing problems after eating rice pasta (homemade sauce so no gluten there) and then I started not digesting rice. I remember my naturopath asking specifically at the beginning of all this if I was digesting rice and she seemed concerned if I wasn't. So I got concerned. I don't know about you guys but I want to be all the way well not just partway, so I found out about the SCD diet on here and have been on it for a month now. It is truly gluten-free and lactose free and I think easier and cheaper. I'm rarely bloated now, only if I overeat. I'm not starving all the time and I am only going to the bathroom ONCE a day. After all this I don't care if I ever have bread of any kind again (gluten-free bread is gross lets be honest). My motto is leftovers are the name of the game and anything you put on a sandwich you can put on a salad.

paw Apprentice

My belly is huge! I have gone up at least 3 pants sizes since July and I have not gained weight. I have been tested for Celiac, (biopsy) but no results yet. I have been non-dairy for about a year and then the doc told me she thinks I have a problem with wheat too and sends me to a gastroenterologist.

The thing with my bloating is that it does not go down at all. I am not stopping the wheat and gluten yet because I want the tests to be as accurate as they can be. I still might end up getting blood tests done if the biopsy is not conclusive. If I stop wheat now, they could end up negative and be wrong.

I just want my belly to calm down, and food to not make me sick. I want a diagnosis and to know what to eat and what to stay away from. :(

Archived