#1 modiddly16

modiddly16

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 04:54 AM

hello all.

I am new to the board, so I am sure you already know of this information. Skittles say gluten-free right on the back of the package, I bought one at work because I had a sugar craving and wasn't sure and there it was on the back of the package. I wish all products were like that. I'm having a difficult time adjusting!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 blueeyedmanda

blueeyedmanda

York Fair 2009

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 06:19 AM

I had read your post right before heading down to the cafeteria to grab a snack, so I saw some skittles and picked up the bag just to see it myself. It is nice to see :)
~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

Posted Image

#3 Guhlia

Guhlia

Ah yes.... Happy New Year to all, Red Bridge style... LOL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 08:40 AM

Wow! That's good to hear! They didn't used to say it right on the bag. It's great when companies label as gluten free. I always support those companies as much as possible.

And BTW, welcome to the forum!!! :)
~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

#4 carol07

carol07

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 09:33 AM

Wow! That's good to hear! They didn't used to say it right on the bag. It's great when companies label as gluten free. I always support those companies as much as possible.

And BTW, welcome to the forum!!! :)

Yay for Skittles, I'm a recently diagnosed celiac disease and I eat Skittles at work. Also there is
an article in People Magazine with Dana Korn, excellent article. I'm in the process of
opening a gluten-free Bakery in Sioux Falls, South Dakota and working on an website.
Carol

#5 abigail

abigail

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 11:53 AM

thats whay I love grocery shoping in Walmart , their brand products, GV, says GLUTEN FREE in BIG LETTERS@!! (the one that they are, of course!)
Even with all the controversy whit wallmart, Im glad that some companies have the guts to Writte it down on the package, not like Kraft or conangra food, that made my life really so not complicated in the beggining!!

Abi :rolleyes:
Abigail, mom of Brian (36 months and Celiac since oct 2006), and Alan (9 month and Didnt try any gluten yet...)

#6 SunnyDyRain

SunnyDyRain

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 12:54 PM

I noticed last night, Starburst says the same thing!

Dx 3/23/07
Gluten free 3/27/07

Intolerant:
Gluten
MSG

Allergies:
Ragweed
Honeydew
Cantalope
Nickel (jewelry)

Dx'd Lymphocytic Colitis 6/16/08

I am a bad silly-yak!

#7 modiddly16

modiddly16

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 04:58 AM

What is the controversy with Walmart? Are they a cross contamination issue? I hadn't heard any of that...it's nice to know about the Starbursts as well, Thank you for the welcome!

#8 Guest_maybe I have celiac_*

Guest_maybe I have celiac_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2007 - 05:31 AM

Glad to hear about Starbursts and Skittles, I have been reading candy labels more and have been eating more starbursts lately

#9 SunnyDyRain

SunnyDyRain

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 06:00 AM

I think the controversy has nothing to do with Celiac, just their business practices concerning women, looking the other way when subcontractors use aliens, running little mom and pop stores out of business, enviromental damage when they cut down acres of trees to build a store, and all the other evils of walmart. I all these things are very good points so i'm not discounting them (I'm a former employee - seen the dark side inside) but they are not as bad some make them out to be.

Dx 3/23/07
Gluten free 3/27/07

Intolerant:
Gluten
MSG

Allergies:
Ragweed
Honeydew
Cantalope
Nickel (jewelry)

I am a bad silly-yak!

#10 Glutenfreefamily

Glutenfreefamily

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 06:26 AM

I think the controversy has nothing to do with Celiac, just their business practices concerning women, looking the other way when subcontractors use aliens, running little mom and pop stores out of business, enviromental damage when they cut down acres of trees to build a store, and all the other evils of walmart. I all these things are very good points so i'm not discounting them (I'm a former employee - seen the dark side inside) but they are not as bad some make them out to be.

Frankly I love walmart its so nice to have gluten free on their great value products so I dont have to buy it and then call and find out it has gluten and I can't eat it and Im out the money for it. I would shop at other stores if they took the initiative that walmart has regarding gluten free labeling.

#11 SunnyDyRain

SunnyDyRain

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 09:04 AM

Frankly I love walmart its so nice to have gluten free on their great value products so I dont have to buy it and then call and find out it has gluten and I can't eat it and Im out the money for it. I would shop at other stores if they took the initiative that walmart has regarding gluten free labeling.

I agree, the gluten-free labeling is wonderful. Some people try to avoid walmart for those reasons I listed it has nothing to do with their food, labeling or cross containation.

If you have a Wegmans near you, they have a little G they put on the front of all the products to symbolize Gluten Free, they also mark stuff Vegan and Lactose free. I think they have another marking, but I can't think of it right now.

Dx 3/23/07
Gluten free 3/27/07

Intolerant:
Gluten
MSG

Allergies:
Ragweed
Honeydew
Cantalope
Nickel (jewelry)

I am a bad silly-yak!

#12 modiddly16

modiddly16

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 12:47 PM

Walmarts are intense. I usually hate going to them only because they're so crowded and people can be really pushy!!! Plus there's something about taking your children to Walmart in their pajamas at night and then yelling at them that we southern folk seem to do that I don't quite understand (humor...but truthful humor). But I did not know about all this wonderful gluten free labeling and will now put on my protective gear and head in that direction...should I not re-post on this forum, I fell into one of the huge ball displays and have not been found yet!

#13 SunnyDyRain

SunnyDyRain

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 01:31 PM

Walmarts are intense. I usually hate going to them only because they're so crowded and people can be really pushy!!! Plus there's something about taking your children to Walmart in their pajamas at night and then yelling at them that we southern folk seem to do that I don't quite understand (humor...but truthful humor). But I did not know about all this wonderful gluten free labeling and will now put on my protective gear and head in that direction...should I not re-post on this forum, I fell into one of the huge ball displays and have not been found yet!

It is worth going to walmart for their gluten-free labeled stuff if you are really really paranoid. I don't usally find it worth the hassle (and I usally get roped into buying 20 extra things I don't need) and just try to buy kraft and conagra foods. I need to read all the labels anyway because of my casien, and other sensitives. Also I like kraft foods better I have found some GV stuff just don't cut it... like their steak sauce..ick.

I used to work at a Walmart when I was in college and I will never forget little jewish school girls buying big gallon sized jars of pickles, and the lady who brought her 1 year old kids to walmart wearing only diapers, then didn't think twice about it when they took off the diapers and jumped around naked. OY. Strange people come out at night.

Dx 3/23/07
Gluten free 3/27/07

Intolerant:
Gluten
MSG

Allergies:
Ragweed
Honeydew
Cantalope
Nickel (jewelry)

I am a bad silly-yak!

#14 gemini1962

gemini1962

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 02:11 PM

Hi newly diagnosed with Celiac Disease and trying to know what products are gluten free is a nightmare! Who seriously has time to call the manufactures of products that are not labeled as gluten free? It sure would be nice if all products were required by the FDA to do so. I have been going on line to list an item & gluten free and each time your site would come up and it has been a tremendous help! Thank you all for your posts it is making my life easier.

#15 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,318 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 02:35 PM

Hi newly diagnosed with Celiac Disease and trying to know what products are gluten free is a nightmare! Who seriously has time to call the manufactures of products that are not labeled as gluten free? It sure would be nice if all products were required by the FDA to do so. I have been going on line to list an item & gluten free and each time your site would come up and it has been a tremendous help! Thank you all for your posts it is making my life easier.

Please watch the dates on the posts. These posts are 5 years old. Products change and this info may not still be accurate.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: