5 replies to this topic

#1 michayla

michayla

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 02:20 PM

I've seen conflicting accounts on dry roasted nuts - are they gluten free or not? and if they aren't what about them that makes them not gluten free?

what about unblanched dry roasted nuts? anyone know?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 05:35 PM

Nuts alone are gluten free, however many are processed on the same equipment or in the same facility as wheat. Read the ingredients list and look over the labels carefully. Many I have seen say "may contain wheat". My personal rule is if it says "processed in the same facility as wheat" I may risk it, but I avoid "processed on the same equipment as wheat" or "may contain wheat". That said all those warning labels are voluntary in the US. Companies don't have to disclose if something is processed with wheat. So I would rather see a warning about a shared facility than no warning at all.
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#3 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,744 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 02:12 AM

Dry roasted nuts tend to have flavorings. Some are safe and some are not. Call the company and ask about whether they are gluten-free or not. I usually ask if wheat, rye barley or oats are used in the product rather than asking if the item is gluten free.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#4 ksymonds84

ksymonds84

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 07:45 AM

Dry roasted nuts tend to have flavorings. Some are safe and some are not. Call the company and ask about whether they are gluten-free or not. I usually ask if wheat, rye barley or oats are used in the product rather than asking if the item is gluten free.

That is excellent advice...I still run into people (but getting better) that will ask "what is gluten?"
Kathy

Gluten free 3/08
Negative blood work/positive endoscopy
Fructose Malabsorption
Soy free

#5 Reba32

Reba32

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 07:40 AM

Some brands are, some are not. Read the ingredients label and allergy warnings.

#6 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 12:56 PM

I usually get Planters brand nuts because they are clearly labeled. I haven't had any problems with their nuts that don't have gluten ingredients listed. Not all their nuts are gluten-free however, so you have to read the labels. Other nutz are kind of whacky and out there. :)
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: