2 replies to this topic

#1 Narnian Frost

Narnian Frost

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 10:09 AM

I have recently discovered that I am allergic to wheat/gluten by process of elimination. I break out all over in an ithcy rash. I am slowly getting a handle on the things I can and can not have. I too wonder about the yeast extact. I recently bought some pretzels that say on the bag that they are gluten free, but they list yeast extract in the ingredients. It's so hard sometimes to get a straight yes or no answer. One place will say yes, it's safe and another will say no, it is made from barley. Am I to assume that since the bag states that it is gluten free that they have taken messures to assure that the yeast extract is also gluten free?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 10:56 AM

Yeast, and yeast extract, are gluten-free.

There are some questionable ingredients that are sometimes a source of gluten, but if they are in the ingredients list and the package also states "gluten-free" then you don't need to worry.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 auzzi

auzzi

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 10:48 PM

Previously, some yeast were grown on dried malt extract [not gluten-free] - but it is mostly corn-based these days .. Home brewer still used DME to cultivate their yeasts ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: