This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Am I Hypocondriac ?

frog-eater

frog-eater Newbie

Hello all,

I've been strugling with extreme anxiety since 1 year now and tried 3 different antidepressants and none of them worked for me. I am convinced that my condition is related to a celiac disease but i don't have low iron nor anemia so i was wondering, is it possible to have a celiac disease but no defiency in iron and other vitamins ?

My doc said i'm not celiac but he didn't even prescribe me the right bloodwork, just the vitamins like iron. vitamin D, hemoglobin etc...

I'm sorry if my english is bad but i'm a french frog eater =)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

nvsmom Community Regular

Welcome to the board.

I had celiac for at least 30 years before it was diagnosed and I did not, at time of diagnosis, have any anemia or low nurtrient levels - in fact my B12 was high- but I do supplement a lot, and I have a diet fairly high in beef and pork. It is possible to have normal nutrient levels and no anemia in an undiagnosed celiac, but it is the minority.

The blood tests  you need are:

ttg IgA and ttg IgG

DGP IgG and DGP IgA

EMA IgA

total serum IgA (a control test)

AGA IgA and AGA IgG (older test)

Hypothyroidism (Hashimoto's) and possibly hyperthyroidsim (Graves) are other autoimmune disordesr that often results in symptoms of depression and anxiety. If you google the symptoms, and you think they fit, the tests you would want for that are:

TPO Ab (should be very low)

TSH (should be near a 1)

Free T4 and free T3 (should be in the 50-75% range of your lab's normal reference range)

TSI

Good luck.  :)

frog-eater Newbie

Well actually i have a vitamin D defiency but i think that's because i don't go out often (the sun bring us vitamin D if i'm right). By the way i already got tested for hypothyroidism and everything is ok. I'm gonna see my doc tomorrow and i hope he'll prescribe me a blood test for celiac disease. And honestly i wish they find out i'm celiac, thus it would be the answer to all my symptoms. However thank you so much for your reply, i'll keep you updated :)

GottaSki Mentor

Welcome Froggy!

Add these to the list of tests nvsmom posted:

Vitamins B1, B2, B6, B12, D, K, Iron, Ferritin, Copper and Zinc

Complete Metabolic Panel

Complete Blood Count

Good luck at the doctor -- take a written list of all symptoms and questions you have along with the tests you need to have run.  I find it comforting to have it in my hand to remind me of everything I wanted to talk about -- often our doctors rush us a bit - so being prepared really helps!

Hang in there :)

Alwayssomething Contributor

Make sure they test your thyroid antibodies, which is the TPO test, it is not your "standard" thyroid tests.  I had my TSH tested all the time because I showed signs of thyroid issues and my mother, grandmother and even my son had thyroid disease.  All those tests were always normal, but my TPO was way off, unfortunately for me I was covered in DH (didn't know it at the time) and it took an allergist to find the hoshimoto's thyroid disease and the celiac. 

frog-eater Newbie

I saw the doc today and he refused to give me the prescription for the bloodwork, i'm really pissed off. I'm just gonna go gluten free for 1-2 months and see how things are going. :(

GottaSki Mentor

:blink:   -_-   :(

So sorry...this boggles my mind -- each and every time I hear that a doctor refused to order simple blood tests....they should all be fired.

Make sure you read the "Newbie 101" thread and let us know if you have any questions :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

taynichaf Contributor

Go to a different doctor!!

nvsmom Community Regular

(HUGS) I would try another doctor too... any doctor.

Archived