Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hey there! This is my celiac story + a few questions.

For about the last 10-12 months, I had always felt 'sick', fatigued and just not right. Stupidly, I just learned to live with these problems and ignore them. I had became so good at ignoring them, I forgot what it felt like to feel 'normal'.

Then about a week ago I had both the worst and best breakthrough of my life. I MIGHT HAVE A GLUTEN ALLERGY! Bad because I can't eat gluten :( but good because I might actually feel better :) :) :)

So skeptically, I decided to try and cut gluten out of my diet for a few days to test this theory. I stayed gluten free for 3 days, those 3 days I felt like a different person. I had energy, my stomach felt amazing, no headaches or fatigue, I could concentrate, be happy and enjoy life!

Unfortunately, today I had a sandwich at a friends house (I dont know why, I guess thats part of the learning curve), and immediately felt sick, back to my normal self.

Now to the questions:

1) I plan to get a blood test soon, is there anything inparticuar I should mention my doctor to look out for etc ?

2) If I consume gluten, how long does the sickness feeling last, is there anyway to feel better quicker ? this question is probably to subjective, but Im just after some general info.

Thank you to this site and community, for providing so much information and helping people live their lifes to the fullest! :)

Now to the questions:

1) I plan to get a blood test soon, is there anything inparticuar I should mention my doctor to look out for etc ?

2) If I consume gluten, how long does the sickness feeling last, is there anyway to feel better quicker ? this question is probably to subjective, but Im just after some general info.

Thank you to this site and community, for providing so much information and helping people live their lifes to the fullest! :)

As Karen said, keep eating gluten. celiacs will test negative in all blood tests after being gluten-free for enough time. Eat 1-4 servings of wheat, barley or rye a day. The most common tests are:

1. (tissue transglutiminase) tTG IgA and tTG IgG
  2. (antiendomysial antibodies) EMA IgA
  3. (deaminated gliadin peptides)  DGP IgA and DGP IgG
  4. total serum IgA (control test - 5% of celiacs are too low in IgG to have accurate tests)
  5. (anti-gliadin antibodies) AGA IgA and AGA IgG (older tests)

Many doctors will just do a tTG test, which is often a mistake because not everyone tests positive in every test. Try to get as many tests, including the IgG tests, done as possible.

As for how long you feel sick, I personally feel gastro symptoms, migraines and bloating for a few days (1-4). Other symptoms like pain, neurological issues and alopecia (to a degree) take longer to resolve.  It's a pretty individual thing.

Best wishes and wlcome to the board.

Welcome!!!!

Keep eating gluten until the testing is complete -- if you remove gluten, the tests for antibodies created in reaction to gluten become less accurate.  No need to overdo it...a slice of toast per night is enough....but do get in to the doctor and get the full antibody panel Nicole listed - take the list with you -- explain that you want the full panel now as you know there is an issue with gluten and you would like to remove it just asap!

Hang in there :)