Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Elfunk11

Any Luck With Mom And Pop Restaurants?

I'm confident that I can avoid gluten when cooking for myself at home but am worried about eating out. I know the big chains have gluten free menus available but what about eating at "mom and pop" restaurants?

Just because the big chains offer gluten free is no indication that you won't get glutened.  For example, you order off the gluten-free menu, talk to the waitress about your gluten-free requirement and she returns with croutons on your salad!  Ugh! 

Best bet is to talk to the manager and the chef.  That's your chance to also talk about cross contamination too.   Most people are really nice about it.  We have one Chinese restaurant that we really like.  Unfortunately, when the manager is not there, we don't eat there because the cooks don't speak English.  I probably need the manager to write out our requirements in Chinese.  Tried to order there tonight, but the manager had just left!

Settled for tri-tip steak, baked potatoes and salad at home.  Yummy!

I'm confident that I can avoid gluten when cooking for myself at home but am worried about eating out. I know the big chains have gluten free menus available but what about eating at "mom and pop" restaurants?

I don't eat out very often, but when I've ended up in a Mom 'n Pop restaurant, I order Chili after asking the server to check with the kitchen if they thicken the chili with flour.  Depending on the restaurant, you may be able to order an un-cut baked potato as a side item.

It honestly depends on where you are - it's kind of hit or miss. I have a few mom and pop places where I live that have AMAZING options for gluten/dairy free people. Better than a lot of chains that brag about supposed gluten free menus!! Just communicate with the staff - if you get the feeling that they don't have a clue, then, you're safe to feel doubt. If you feel comfortable with them, go for it! They can give you some of the best food, honestly. 

Those are truly my favorite places to eat but there are less and less of them in this area.  They keep putting in bleh food chain places!  But at a little place, they usually cook from scratch.  And they are usually willing to make you something even if it is not on the menu.  We have multiple food intolerances.  We especially do well at several Mexican places where we know the owners.  They make food special for us.  I try to get to know the owner and/or wait staff, make them aware of what we can and can not eat and tip them well.  Works for me!