Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hopefull799

Shared Dip With Daughter, Did This Make Me Sick?

I am new to gluten-free. I thought I was doing good until I got very sick after dinner. I went over every thing I ate & it seemed to be fine. I did share my yum yum sauce with my daughter who had McDonald's chicken nuggets. Could that be it? Really?

I am new to gluten-free. I thought I was doing good until I got very sick after dinner. I went over every thing I ate & it seemed to be fine. I did share my yum yum sauce with my daughter who had McDonald's chicken nuggets. Could that be it? Really?

Really!

Yep!  Next time make a rule that nobody dip gluten stuff in the dip.  Ask for a little plate or bowl and share it that way.  I can remember getting very angry with my mom many, many times because she would break off a piece of her Chalupa and dunk it in the bean dip.  And then daughter would be like...  "Thanks!  Now I can't eat that!"  But my mother would never get it.  Never.  Some family members would also make fun of us for getting upset when they passed things with gluten or nuts (another problem for daughter) over her plate.  They do not believe that a crumb or two of something would hurt her.  So I tried this...

They all take prescription meds.  So I would ask them to describe to me, the tiniest pill that they had.  Or if they had it with me, to show it to me.  And they would.  And then I'd say...  "Okay!  Why don't you give that to Angela!?  It's tiny.  Tiny won't hurt her.  Right?"  And they would give me a look like I was crazy.  I thought that analogy would work.  It didn't.

All it takes is a speck of something if you have a problem with food.  I can't tell you how many times I've been eating smoething, only to find a crouton in the middle to the bottom of my salad, or even a shred of cheese.  Dairy is an issue for me.  A couple of times I picked that shred of cheese out plus all of the salad leaves around it.  And I still got sick.