Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dek38

How Much Weight Did You Loose Before Finding Out You Were Celiac

I have lost around 20 pounds over the past 16 months, I still eat plenty of calories so shouldn't of lost any weight.  My shoulders, arms, legs, chest, neck and trunk are thinner although my gut sticks out, you can see my collar bones sticking out.

I shouldn't really have a gut as I dont drink much beer anymore.  I still weigh over 13 stone, and am considered to be slightly overweight.  The strange thing is I weighed similar around 4 years back but I didn't have a gut and my arms, shoulders, legs etc were bigger.

Has anyone lost weight like this prior to diagnosis?

I lost about 15 pounds with out changing my eating habits or anything before diagnosis.

Over what period was the weight loss?  When i say i have lost 20lbs, I think around 6-8 pounds were from a diet I did,and also a family death.

I have lost around 20 pounds over the past 16 months, I still eat plenty of calories so shouldn't of lost any weight.  My shoulders, arms, legs, chest, neck and trunk are thinner although my gut sticks out, you can see my collar bones sticking out.

I shouldn't really have a gut as I dont drink much beer anymore.  I still weigh over 13 stone, and am considered to be slightly overweight.  The strange thing is I weighed similar around 4 years back but I didn't have a gut and my arms, shoulders, legs etc were bigger.

Has anyone lost weight like this prior to diagnosis?

I did not lose any weight, but didn't have issues with diarrhea prior to getting diagnosed.  

I was diagnosed very quickly (like 3 months from my very first symptoms)... so not only did I NOT lose any weight... I GAINED about 40 pounds in the next year happily eating all the foods I COULD eat to make up for all the foods I could no longer eat!! AAARRRGGGHHHHHH!!!

Over what period was the weight loss? When i say i have lost 20lbs, I think around 6-8 pounds were from a diet I did,and also a family death.

I had been ill for about 20 years with nausea, unexplained anemia, dizziness, IBS type symptoms, and anxiety.

Since no testing that I had turned up anything, I lived with all as best I could.

The year before I was finally diagnosed, I came down with the flu. After that, my symptoms went into overdrive. I started getting numbness and tingling in my legs, left arm and face. My iron got very low and I ended up quitting my job because even with supplementation I was fainting from standing for just a few minutes.

I experienced brain fog and extreme fatigue, hair loss, and then I began losing weight. I would say the weight loss happened over 2-3 months. By that time, I was actually afraid I was dying.

Once on the gluten-free diet, I gained it back, plus a few, in about the same amount of time. It took me all of about 7 years to get to the point where I felt whole again.

I had been ill for about 20 years with nausea, unexplained anemia, dizziness, IBS type symptoms, and anxiety.

Since no testing that I had turned up anything, I lived with all as best I could.

The year before I was finally diagnosed, I came down with the flu. After that, my symptoms went into overdrive. I started getting numbness and tingling in my legs, left arm and face. My iron got very low and I ended up quitting my job because even with supplementation I was fainting from standing for just a few minutes.

I experienced brain fog and extreme fatigue, hair loss, and then I began losing weight. I would say the weight loss happened over 2-3 months. By that time, I was actually afraid I was dying.

Once on the gluten-free diet, I gained it back, plus a few, in about the same amount of time. It took me all of about 7 years to get to the point where I felt whole again.

Patti, 

The tingling and numbness/strange feelings in my arms and legs was probably the first thing that happened to me (That is when I started to think something was not right).  It's funny but my gran dies last year and all my symptoms really kicked in around 2 months later.  Could emotional stress or illness be the trigger for Celiac?

Patti,

The tingling and numbness/strange feelings in my arms and legs was probably the first thing that happened to me (That is when I started to think something was not right). It's funny but my gran dies last year and all my symptoms really kicked in around 2 months later. Could emotional stress or illness be the trigger for Celiac?

Most definitely. The trigger can be emotional or physical stress, illness, surgery, etc.

The gastroenterologist who diagnosed me felt that my trigger might well have been the c-section birth of my younger son. The timing coincided with the beginning of my symptoms all those years ago.

Yours may have started quietly after the death of your gran and became more severe, therefore more noticeable after a couple months.

Most definitely. The trigger can be emotional or physical stress, illness, surgery, etc.

The gastroenterologist who diagnosed me felt that my trigger might well have been the c-section birth of my younger son. The timing coincided with the beginning of my symptoms all those years ago.

Yours may have started quietly after the death of your gran and became more severe, therefore more noticeable after a couple months.

Yeah it makes sense.  To be honest I was on vacation for 18 days 2 weeks after my grans funeral, and when I came back had jetlag for a week.  Then I quite smoking, and a week later everything started to go wrong!!  They also say that smoking sometimes can mask an underlying medical condition.

At first I thought the weird symptoms were down to quiting smoking, now I know different.