Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

KBB

Blood Test Results

Hi,

I am so happy to have found this site!!!  I am trying to get a better understanding of exactly what my blood test does or doesn't reveal and am hoping some of you can help educate me.  I have tried researching the results myself but the information that I am getting from my doctor and the information that I am getting from my research are not the same. My blood work test resluts show the following:

Celiac Disease Panel

Endomysial Antibody IgA: Negative, range - Negative

t-Transglutaminase (tTG) IgA: <2, range - Negative 0-3, Weak Positive 4-10, Positive >10

Immunoglobulin A, Qn, Serum: 73, range - 91-414

t-Transglutaminase (tTG) IgG (auto-generated/reflex): <2, range - Negative 0-5, Weak Positive 6-9, Positive >9

Vitamin D, 25 - Hydroxy: 24.1, range - 30.0-100.0

According to my doctor, I do not have Celiac Disease.  However, I have read on several different sites that having a low immunoglobulin A level can be an indicator of the disease and cause a false Negative result.   I have also read that a low vitamin D level can also be an indicator of the disease.

I would greatly appreciate any information.

Thanks! 

since you were IgA negative it looks like your lab automatically reflexed and performed the ttg IgG test which was also negative, but a complete panel was not performed.  Can you see if you are able to get DGP IgA/IgG tests performed?  Adding these two tests will make it a complete panel.  Low Vitamin D is one of the common deficiencies linked with Celiac.

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/archives/faq/what-common-nutrient-deficiencies-might-an-adult-experience-prior-to-diagnosis

good luck!

edit: because you're IgA deficient, only ask for the DGP IgG test to be performed

Hi,

I am so happy to have found this site!!!  I am trying to get a better understanding of exactly what my blood test does or doesn't reveal and am hoping some of you can help educate me.  I have tried researching the results myself but the information that I am getting from my doctor and the information that I am getting from my research are not the same. My blood work test resluts show the following:

Celiac Disease Panel

Endomysial Antibody IgA: Negative, range - Negative

t-Transglutaminase (tTG) IgA: <2, range - Negative 0-3, Weak Positive 4-10, Positive >10

Immunoglobulin A, Qn, Serum: 73, range - 91-414

t-Transglutaminase (tTG) IgG (auto-generated/reflex): <2, range - Negative 0-5, Weak Positive 6-9, Positive >9

Vitamin D, 25 - Hydroxy: 24.1, range - 30.0-100.0

According to my doctor, I do not have Celiac Disease.  However, I have read on several different sites that having a low immunoglobulin A level can be an indicator of the disease and cause a false Negative result.   I have also read that a low vitamin D level can also be an indicator of the disease.

I would greatly appreciate any information.

Thanks! 

since you were IgA negative it looks like your lab automatically reflexed and performed the ttg IgG test which was also negative, but a complete panel was not performed.  Can you see if you are able to get DGP IgA/IgG tests performed?  Adding these two tests will make it a complete panel.  Low Vitamin D is one of the common deficiencies linked with Celiac.

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/archives/faq/what-common-nutrient-deficiencies-might-an-adult-experience-prior-to-diagnosis

good luck!

Thanks!  I will ask for the additional test; however, I am concerned that the doctor may not agree to additional testing since these were negative.  So am I correct in thinking that my low immunoglobulin A, Qn, Serum result could give me a false negative result? 

hi KBB,

I edited my above response to say only request the DGP IgG test since you are IgA deficient.  You're low immunoglobulin A can definitely give you a false negative result for IgA based tests, but since your lab automatically reflexed to running the ttg IgG since you're IgA is low, the IgG result is valid.  

"IgG DGP appears to be very helpful in IgA deficient patients and for some EMA-negative and tTG-negative patients." take a look at pg. 12 and 13 of this report for testing accuracy.  The above statement was found on pg. 13: 

http://www.worldgastroenterology.org/assets/export/userfiles/2012_Celiac%20Disease_long_FINAL.pdf

they don't even list ttg IgG, but they do list DGP IgG and it is a very specific test for celiac.  

here is a quote from the following article: "Therefore, a serologic screening by combining tTG IgA with DGP IgG or EmA testing could be considered as the best initial test for celiac disease."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3170807/

here is a link regarding IgA deficiency in patients with celiac

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/archives/faq/how-common-is-iga-deficiency-in-those-with-celiac-disease

I'd say push for getting that DGP IgG test!

EDIT: here's another great abstract http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22197936

Thanks!  I will ask for the additional test; however, I am concerned that the doctor may not agree to additional testing since these were negative.  So am I correct in thinking that my low immunoglobulin A, Qn, Serum result could give me a false negative result? 

hi KBB,

I edited my above response to say only request the DGP IgG test since you are IgA deficient.  You're low immunoglobulin A can definitely give you a false negative result for IgA based tests, but since your lab automatically reflexed to running the ttg IgG since you're IgA is low, the IgG result is valid.  

"IgG DGP appears to be very helpful in IgA deficient patients and for some EMA-negative and tTG-negative patients." take a look at pg. 12 and 13 of this report for testing accuracy.  The above statement was found on pg. 13: 

http://www.worldgastroenterology.org/assets/export/userfiles/2012_Celiac%20Disease_long_FINAL.pdf

they don't even list ttg IgG, but they do list DGP IgG and it is a very specific test for celiac.  

here is a quote from the following article: "Therefore, a serologic screening by combining tTG IgA with DGP IgG or EmA testing could be considered as the best initial test for celiac disease."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3170807/

here is a link regarding IgA deficiency in patients with celiac

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/archives/faq/how-common-is-iga-deficiency-in-those-with-celiac-disease

I'd say push for getting that DGP IgG test!

Thank you so much....I am going back to the doctor on Friday and am thrilled to have all of this information!!! 

Not to bash any other site but I tried contacting another site's local support group only to be told the contact no longer was with the group and to contact the national support group.  The national support group told me to go to a doctor....extremely helpful.  So once again, I am so glad I found this site and greatly apprecite your help!

Thanks again.

P of P gave you great links and info. i agree with everything. A low IgA serum would make any IgA based celiac tests (tTG IgA, EMA IgA, or DGP IgA) invalid. On of the main reasons they run IgG based tests is because up to 5% of celiacs are IgA deficient, you appear to be one of the 1/20 who is IgA deficient. The only valid celiac test you've had is the tTG IgG, and the tTG IgG's sensitivity is thought to be less than the IgA based tests - I've seen stats saying as many as 1/4 celiacs can have a false negative test with the tTG IgG. 

I would request further testing too, even if you need to try another doctor. If no one will test you, I would try the gluten-free diet for at least 3 months (6 or more is better) and re-assess how you feel.

Good luck!

P of P gave you great links and info. i agree with everything. A low IgA serum would make any IgA based celiac tests (tTG IgA, EMA IgA, or DGP IgA) invalid. On of the main reasons they run IgG based tests is because up to 5% of celiacs are IgA deficient, you appear to be one of the 1/20 who is IgA deficient. The only valid celiac test you've had is the tTG IgG, and the tTG IgG's sensitivity is thought to be less than the IgA based tests - I've seen stats saying as many as 1/4 celiacs can have a false negative test with the tTG IgG. 

I would request further testing too, even if you need to try another doctor. If no one will test you, I would try the gluten-free diet for at least 3 months (6 or more is better) and re-assess how you feel.

Good luck!

Hi nvsmom, 

I am hopeful that the doctor will agree to the additional test and if not, I agree with you...I will find one that will.  

I am guessing that I should wait until I go to the doctor before trying the gluten-free diet.  

Thanks for your help! 

Welcome!

I agree to get at least the DGP-IgG, but also suggest you make sure you have more nutrient blood testing.  Often docs will only run Iron and Vitamin D.

Here is a good list to check if you are having problems absorbing nutrients in addition to the D you posted:

Vitamins B1, B2, B6, B12, K

Iron, Ferritin, Copper and Zinc

Also if you haven't had them recently:

CMP - Complete Metabolic Panel

CBC - Complete Blood Count

and make sure you check out the "Newbie 101" thread if you haven't already -- it will give a great jump start should you decide to remove gluten once your testing is complete -- removal of gluten is the only way to test for Non Celiac Gluten Sensitivity which can present with many of the same symptoms as Celiac Disease -- both Celiac Disease and NCGS have the same treatment -- remove all gluten -- but do wait until your testing is complete!

Hang in there :)

Welcome!

I agree to get at least the DGP-IgG, but also suggest you make sure you have more nutrient blood testing.  Often docs will only run Iron and Vitamin D.

Here is a good list to check if you are having problems absorbing nutrients in addition to the D you posted:

Vitamins B1, B2, B6, B12, K

Iron, Ferritin, Copper and Zinc

Also if you haven't had them recently:

CMP - Complete Metabolic Panel

CBC - Complete Blood Count

and make sure you check out the "Newbie 101" thread if you haven't already -- it will give a great jump start should you decide to remove gluten once your testing is complete -- removal of gluten is the only way to test for Non Celiac Gluten Sensitivity which can present with many of the same symptoms as Celiac Disease -- both Celiac Disease and NCGS have the same treatment -- remove all gluten -- but do wait until your testing is complete!

Hang in there :)

Hi GottaSki,

Thanks for the feedback.  Getting really nervous about my appointment tomorrow but confident that all of this information and support will help!

Thanks!