Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

answerseeker

Help With Nutritional Lab Results Please

I haven't had any responses about the alp being low so I'm reposting

These are some lab results that have come back so far. Any thoughts?

Alkaline phosphaste 24 (under 37 is low mine is pretty low)

Ferritin 22 (borderline low)

RBC 3.97 (borderline low)

Potassium 3.8 (borderline)

B12 487

Folate high (anything over 17 is high mine was over 24)

Still waiting for some other nutritional results. We will see what else comes up. I've only been gluten free for a week

I don't know much about ALP except what I can google.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/283414-what-causes-low-alkaline-phosphatase/

It appears to be linked to nutritional deficiencies (really really common in celiacs - like your low ferritin and potassium) and possibly hypothyroidism. Have you been tested for hypothyroidism if you have any symptoms? About 10% of celiacs have hypothyroidism - pretty common. The tests are TSH (should be near 1), Free T3 and free T4 (should be in the 50-75% range of your lab's normal reference range), and TPO Ab.

The other deficiencies common in celiacs (which you haven't listed) are calcium, iron, D and zinc.

Hope you feel better soon, and manage to skip any withdrawal.  :)

Calcium, iron and D were ok. Still waiting for zinc. I've only had the TSH done. But my post about my symptoms, some said it sounds like I have symptoms of it. I have lost weight, currently weigh 106 and I'm 5' 3"

I haven't had any responses about the alp being low so I'm reposting

sweetie - sometimes we don't know :(   or somebody who would know hasn't been on - i know, it's frustrating especially with so many tests and trying to interpret them.   hang in there, hopefully you will have answers soon!

I understand! I thought maybe it was the title I put so no one clicked on it. I just have pretty much lost my confidence in doctors at this point! I suffered a year of breathing problems with misdiagnosis and it took me having an asthma attack in the Dr office for them to finally get me to a pulmonologist and then I was diagnosed with adult onset asthma with persistent obstruction

i know what you mean about docs - i had so many prescriptions (that didn't work) - i finally just gave up and figured i had to live with feeling miserable.  i finally lost so much weight (from malabsorbtion, i know now) that the doctor was going to put me in the hospital.  i seriously think he was still guessing when he guessed the right dx :(  

I only can add that my practitioner told me that ferritin or iron being low or borderline is often the first indicator of celiac disease.  That is not to say that everyone with low iron has celiac.

When I am low on potassium a bite of parsley or fresh celery from the garden can give me some energy!

D