Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Renegade

So What's The Quickest Way To Figure Out Your Other Intolerances?

So since every celiac seems to have another intolerance, grains,dairy,soy etc...  and they only seem to realize it months down the road, I was wondering how I could just avoid this process right now and figure out what other things I could be intolerant to.

It's easy when you feel bad after eating something but isn't there are intolerances that only show up once your damage has been healed, as in you could be intolerant to corn but you don't feel bad when eating corn yet or any other. One example is dairy, I don't feel bad when eating yogourt but it seems many people are intolerant to it, so I decided to cut it to be safe.

So since every celiac seems to have another intolerance, grains,dairy,soy etc...  and they only seem to realize it months down the road, I was wondering how I could just avoid this process right now and figure out what other things I could be intolerant to.

It's easy when you feel bad after eating something but isn't there are intolerances that only show up once your damage has been healed, as in you could be intolerant to corn but you don't feel bad when eating corn yet or any other. One example is dairy, I don't feel bad when eating yogourt but it seems many people are intolerant to it, so I decided to cut it to be safe.

You want to say goodbye to soy to.  There's not a quick fix that I can think of.

Not everyone has other intolerances, but some do.

If you find that you are still having symptoms when you have been gluten-free a while, it is worth doing some further investigations. Some people have a temporary intolerance to dairy because of damage to the villi, but find that after 6 months or so can reintroduce once the damage has healed.

I found doing an elimination diet while keeping a food diary very helpful. I had been gluten-free 4 months when I did mine, and found intolerance to dairy soy seseame corn caffeine sugar and a few other things. I chose a whole food paleo type diet, with no additives etc, and it has made a world of difference for me. Not everyone needs to be this extreme though!

A couple of other things to look out for are cross contamination with gluten and also processed gluten-free food. gluten-free food can have more salt, sugar and fat than the regular products they replace, and have unusual ingredients like gums which can cause a reaction.

I am a bit torn what to recommend, as most people won't need to go to extremes, but for those of us who do, identifying other intolerances can be life changing.

Good luck :)