This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten And Allergen Free Food Expo

GlutenStinks15

GlutenStinks15 Explorer

Over the weekend there was a gluten and allergen free food expo at the Meadowlands in NJ. I found out about it by accident, and drove there and bought tix.

It was $20 per person - not bad!

SO MANY vendors were there! It was wonderful to be able to taste test everything! There were local vendors as well as the national ones. I couldn't believe how amazing it was. I was in a room and was able to eat EVERYTHING that was there!!

Here is the link to their schedule of shows so you can see if there's one near you.

Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mamaw Community Regular

what  was your  favorite  food  there?  I was  going  to that  but  was  away  dealing  with a  death....

lpellegr Collaborator

If you volunteer to work at one of these you get free admission.  I did that at the Meadowlands event on Sunday, and "work" is really too strong of a word to describe the minimal duties I had.  Lots of vendors giving out samples (egg rolls, woohoo!), but not many coupons.  There were 4 beer companies, lots of cake/brownie/cookie vendors, Cabot cheese, King Arthur Flour, etc.  The actual Bob and Ruth from Bob and Ruth's Travel were there, as were some cookbook authors.  The lectures/demos looked really good, although I missed them all.  Lots of names I recognized from cookbooks or websites.  I went to one of these in Philadelphia a few years ago that was $50 a ticket, but there were many more vendors, much more being given out (whole loaves of bread, sandwiches, pizza), and loads of coupons.  If you are there at the end of the last day, many products are sold very cheap or given away.  I saw people with cartons of cereal at 5 for $5, and Go Picnics were going for $2.50 each during the last hour.  Mostly you get to eat lots of samples without having to ask a lot of questions (I had to ask about oats, but in most cases they will post what contains dairy) and you find out about products that you could ask your local stores to carry.

w8in4dave Community Regular

I would LOVE to go to one of these!! I know they probably have them in Detroit or AnnArbor I'd go to AnnArbor but not Detroit. Sounds like a BLAST!! Good for you!! 

lpellegr Collaborator

Here's a good recap of what was there: Open Original Shared Link

GlutenStinks15 Explorer

what  was your  favorite  food  there?  I was  going  to that  but  was  away  dealing  with a  death....

I'm srry for your loss.

My favorite food there was the pizza - Against the Grain makes a really good one and so does Conte's. Both can be found at Shop Rite. But really, almost everything was delicious!

mamaw Community Regular

Thanks for your condolences. I'm glad you had a great time. I attend so many of these but this year not as we have had so many deaths this year at least two a month.. As my family & I age it happens... But I don't like it.....I'm friends with most of the vendors/bakers. I used to promote against the grain when they first started out & I helped the owner at several events in the beginning. Good company & very nice owners....

Someone, sorry I forgot was asking about events in Michigan.. A very nice one is held in Grand Rapids every spring...I drive to it from Pa...also In Indiana there is a big one coming up very soon... I will miss that one to be at the food expo east this year...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GlutenStinks15 Explorer

Thanks for your condolences. I'm glad you had a great time. I attend so many of these but this year not as we have had so many deaths this year at least two a month.. As my family & I age it happens... But I don't like it.....I'm friends with most of the vendors/bakers. I used to promote against the grain when they first started out & I helped the owner at several events in the beginning. Good company & very nice owners....

Someone, sorry I forgot was asking about events in Michigan.. A very nice one is held in Grand Rapids every spring...I drive to it from Pa...also In Indiana there is a big one coming up very soon... I will miss that one to be at the food expo east this year...

I was really happy with the products from Against the Grain, and have started buying them now. The best part was the sampling - I wasted so much money at the beginning! Happy to know the owners are nice - that helps me - I like to give my money to good people when I can. I'm picky that way!

There were also some local businesses that are fairly new - I'm in NY - but only 15 min from the Meadowlands, so I can easily frequent some of their shops as well. I'm looking forward to more of these expos/shows.

• 4 months later...
surviormom Rookie

So the expos and conferences are worth going to?  There will be 3 in my state this year, and I was thinking of attending 1 or 2 of them.  

mamaw Community Regular

Expos  are  great    esp.  for newbies... It is also  a good  way to  sample  gluten-free  foods  before  one  actually  pays  a  high  price  for a  product  they  can't  swallow!!!!  And  most  of  all it  is  always  nice to  connect  to others  who  survive  the gluten-free  lifestyle...some  are  better  than others....

surviormom Rookie

Considering these three this year, but one is a good distance away.

Gluten Free Living Conference

Gluten Free for Life Expo

GFAF Wellness Event

• 3 weeks later...
RVluvin Apprentice

There's one this weekend in Phoenix (actually Glendale, AZ at the  University of Phx stadium).  I was hesitant on going due to the admission cost, but since you folks gave it such a great review, I'm planning on attending.  Thanks!   I'll  post a review after attending for my first time.

Archived