Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JosieToo

Weight Gain

Why is weight gain sometimes associated with going gluten-free?

I keep reading that when people go gluten-free they often gain weight. This seems counter-intuitive to me, since many people would be cutting out a lot of processed foods that they were previously eating - which should (in theory) lead to weight loss.

Any feedback is appreciated. I certainly don't want to have to add "weight gain" to my list of Celiac-related concerns.

Thanks!

Often when Celiacs go gluten free their body finally starts taking the nutrients in and the calories, well not spending so much time on the toilet! So you need to be careful of your calorie intake, that's all and you will be fine :)

I agree with you both. :)

Some people tend to substitute gluten-free processed products for the foods they have dropped. Gluten-free processed foods are generally higher in sugar than their counterparts.

Those who lost weight to celiac disease tend to regain it once their body starts working well again, which may necessitate a cut in calories consumed in the long term. I had the opposite problem, when I am unwell I tend to put on weight but when I am gluten-free I lose weight on the same amounts of calories... Those calories are of higher quality now though.

Well, I eat no processed except rice cakes. I have gained a massive 18lbs in 9 months. I'm gutted. I eat healthy, but obviously I am eating too much? Being vegetarian and intolerant to many things I worry about getting some of my vitamins (according to my nutrition app I fall short on vit d, b12, calcium, selenium, zinc and a few others).... What should I do? I'm so miserable being fat. But on the other hand I want to make sure I eat my vitamins and minerals, I never want to be as ill as I was last year? A nurse told me to ignore the app and just restrict my calories. I want to but I worry. I average 2300 kcals and am gaining every week :-(.... With no processed!!

I have lost over 30 lbs since I have been Dx'd. I eat fresh meat and veggies every day. I do eat processed but once in a while. Once a week maby? People gain because they eat more corn, rice, and potatoes, peas. They are all higher in sugar content. So once on a good Gluten Free diet you need to eat fresh foods ..and not all the processed stuff! Try and exercise daily. Eat beans , quinoa , fresh green leafy veggies , meat and or fish .. It really can be a healthy diet .. W8 your a vegetarian I don't know if you eat fish or chicken.. If not I know my oldest daughter is vegetarian , they eat alot of beans, quinoa , no processed noodles .. or processed dry cheeses , try and eat as fresh as you can.. Rice cakes not good!! Read your ingredients! And yea exercise! That is good for a vegetarian! 

Thanks w8in4dave!!! I know rice cakes aren't good for you, but that's the only processed I eat!! I have green juice for breakfast, fruit, avocado for lunch, and a main dinner of veg,rice/quinoa/potato eggs or something like that! Occasional red wine! I do taekwondo 2 times per week and run 5km!!

I think I need to cut calories :( ouch... !!!!