This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Most People With Celiac Disease Open To Pharmaceutical Treatments - Celiac.com

Scott Adams

Scott Adams Grand Master

Celiac.com

Most People with Celiac Disease Open to Pharmaceutical Treatments

Celiac.com

Celiac.com 10/17/2013 - A gluten-free diet is till the only treatment for celiac disease, but a number of companies are working on pharmaceutical treatments. However, very little information exists bout the level of interest among patients in using a ...

Open Original Shared Link ScoopSanDiego.com

Open Original Shared Link ModernMedicine

Open Original Shared Link IT Business Net

Open Original Shared Link  -Open Original Shared Link  -Open Original Shared Link

Open Original Shared Link

View the full article

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GF Lover Rising Star

I would choose a gluten-free diet over medication.  I think the mentality of taking a  pill to fix symptoms is wrong and running rampant in the world.  Of course, there are always cases where this is needed, but there are so many more where simple dietary changes can do the same thing. 

Do we really "NEED" to eat McDonalds?

Colleen

kareng Grand Master

I would take one of the ones that is in the trial phases.  It isn't meant to let us eat lots of gluten or "cure" us.  It is meant for use when you want to eat at a restaurant or travel and might get a small amount of gluten no matter how hard you try to avoid it.

Adalaide Mentor

I'm also open to the idea of pills that are meant to help prevent us from getting sick on the occasions we choose to do something like eat out when we don't know if we'll accidentally ingest a small amount of gluten or not. 

What I am not open to is this idea I have seen that we need a pill that will allow us to eat whatever we want, whenever we want. Or, as I've seen some people put it, so we can eat "normally." I'm still trying to figure out what isn't normal about me having steak, potatoes and green beans. Or grilled chicken and fried rice with veggies. Since when is a "normal" meal something you get from a box and just add meat and water to? I don't feel deprived in any way. I eat every imaginable thing I want, I bake much of it myself just like I used to so I don't really see how my life has changed except that I feel better.

Besides, for any of us that have ever actually listened to those warnings about side effects of drugs on a commercial it seems that they're all far, far worse than whatever condition they're used to treat. (Except Chantrix... every side effect of that is already a side effect of quitting smoking, as anyone who has quit knows. Of course you're experiencing changes in mood and hostility, you just want a freaking cigarette!) But almost every drug in existence lists GI symptoms as side effects, so what is the point of us wasting our money? Isn't that a huge part of what we're attempting to avoid?

kareng Grand Master

This new drug I'm talking about sounds pretty good.  They found that it works best if taken with a carbonated beverage.  It basically works superfast in your stomach to break up the gluten.  What it does to the other food in your stomach, not sure.  It couldn't work on a foot long sub - too much gluten to get digested in a short period of time.  It would have to be in the stomach with the food - not 2 hours later.

GF Lover Rising Star

Karen,

So its a one pill for a certain situation type thing?  Not a daily medication? 

Colleen

kareng Grand Master

Karen,

So its a one pill for a certain situation type thing?  Not a daily medication? 

Colleen

Just take it once in a while when you eat dubious foods.  Its like what all these current "gluten eating enzymes" products claim to do.  Except they tested a bunch of them and they didn't work or only worked on a very small part of the consumed gluten.

Something taken daily would worry me.  Other drugs that try to shut down parts of the immune system have a lot of side effects.  I really don't know how they all work.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

WinterSong Community Regular

I agree that I wouldn't want to take anything daily. I don't like taking medication because of all the side effects and believe that if you can change your diet rather than taking pills for the rest of your life, then you're lucky.

Taking a pill for a week to (for example) go on vacation to another country, on the other hand, I may consider. Although I think I'd be terrified to try eating gluten, even knowing if a medication would keep me safe.

kareng Grand Master

I agree that I wouldn't want to take anything daily. I don't like taking medication because of all the side effects and believe that if you can change your diet rather than taking pills for the rest of your life, then you're lucky.

Taking a pill for a week to (for example) go on vacation to another country, on the other hand, I may consider. Although I think I'd be terrified to try eating gluten, even knowing if a medication would keep me safe.

The point isn't to eat gluten on purpose....it's for accidental gluten. For exampl, you order as well as you can - for example- French fries fried in shared oil. Pick out Any obvious pieces of onion rings and don't worry about the little bit you can't see. C

WinterSong Community Regular

The point isn't to eat gluten on purpose....it's for accidental gluten. For exampl, you order as well as you can - for example- French fries fried in shared oil. Pick out Any obvious pieces of onion rings and don't worry about the little bit you can't see. C

Oh gotcha. I had heard there was also research being done on a pill that allows you to eat gluten on purpose. All I've heard are sketchy at this point. 

Adalaide Mentor

Oh gotcha. I had heard there was also research being done on a pill that allows you to eat gluten on purpose. All I've heard are sketchy at this point. 

Yeah... this is the sort of pill I would never consider taking. I find it absurd that people would want to considering the side effects of most pills that are taken on a regular basis. You get "minor" like gas, bloating, fatigue, constipation to more life altering like anal leakage, suicidal thoughts or actions, X Y or Z organ damage. Um... aren't things like that the reason we're all on the gluten-free diet anyway?

kareng Grand Master

I think there is.  But, when I participated in this survey, I said I was willing to have medications.  But the one I want is the occasional use one.  I'm not sure that the article makes it completely clear when it says people want a medication.

Archived