appletree729

Endoscopy Tomorrow... How Long For Results?

Rate this topic

I'm so happy to report that I'm finally getting my endoscopy done tomorrow!  I don't know what it will show - if I'm true celiac or not - but I'm giving up gluten regardless.  I've had a nice several weeks of chowing on all the best gluten-laden foods I could find and now I'm ready ;)

Anyway - how long until you get the biopsy results?  Is it just a few days to a week, or is it longer?  Will the doctor be able to tell me anything immediately after the procedure about how things looked?  Like are there any clues that are visible with the scope or is it all from the lab afterwards?

I'm actually having a colonoscopy done at the same time and am quite nervous :P  I'm nervous because of the logistics with taking care of my 4 kids and making sure everybody is where they need to be tomorrow and safe while I'm not available, how my milk supply will handle the 24+ hours without food (I'm nursing a baby), and nervous about how I'm actually going to handle going that long without food without fainting :P  I've got plenty of juices and things that I'm allowed to have though, at least until tomorrow morning.

anyway - I'm doing this mostly for my kids anyway - we have so many weird GI issues going on with them, we have the double DQ2 genes and low IgA in the kids.  I figured that it might help explain some things if I do end up having celiac - there might not be so much mystery behind their conditions...

I'm a rambling worry-wart right now!  Sorry!  am anxious to get this done and get the test results!

I'm so happy to report that I'm finally getting my endoscopy done tomorrow!  I don't know what it will show - if I'm true celiac or not - but I'm giving up gluten regardless.  I've had a nice several weeks of chowing on all the best gluten-laden foods I could find and now I'm ready ;)

Anyway - how long until you get the biopsy results?  Is it just a few days to a week, or is it longer?  Will the doctor be able to tell me anything immediately after the procedure about how things looked?  Like are there any clues that are visible with the scope or is it all from the lab afterwards?

I'm actually having a colonoscopy done at the same time and am quite nervous :P  I'm nervous because of the logistics with taking care of my 4 kids and making sure everybody is where they need to be tomorrow and safe while I'm not available, how my milk supply will handle the 24+ hours without food (I'm nursing a baby), and nervous about how I'm actually going to handle going that long without food without fainting :P  I've got plenty of juices and things that I'm allowed to have though, at least until tomorrow morning.

anyway - I'm doing this mostly for my kids anyway - we have so many weird GI issues going on with them, we have the double DQ2 genes and low IgA in the kids.  I figured that it might help explain some things if I do end up having celiac - there might not be so much mystery behind their conditions...

I'm a rambling worry-wart right now!  Sorry!  am anxious to get this done and get the test results!

Just settle down :lol:  Everything will be right with the world when you finish your procedures.  Just think, after tomorrow you can start feeling better regardless of the results.  The Doctor may or may not say anything after the procedure.  Biopsies usually take around 1 - 2 weeks for results.  Let us know how it all goes. :)

Colleen

Thanks for the responses everyone :)

Just got home - things went really well and my doctor said that everything looked great, and that he doubts I have celiac, but of course we need to wait for the test results, so we shall see!

He took 7-8 biopsies so I feel like if there is damage there, it's likely to be found with so many!  Happy that I don't have to do this again, at least for a long while.  

Going gluten free now even if the results come back negative...  he said 1-2 weeks for results...

Thanks for the responses everyone :)

Just got home - things went really well and my doctor said that everything looked great, and that he doubts I have celiac, but of course we need to wait for the test results, so we shall see!

He took 7-8 biopsies so I feel like if there is damage there, it's likely to be found with so many!  Happy that I don't have to do this again, at least for a long while.  

Going gluten free now even if the results come back negative...  he said 1-2 weeks for results...

The small intestine is about 15 to 32 feet in length. It is very possible to miss damage.

"The small intestine is about 15 to 32 feet in length. It is very possible to miss damage."

lol - I know.  I just meant that I was happy that he took so many biopsies because I know that is important.  Not sure if there are many doctors out there that take more than 8 biopsies...

In any case, if there is damage, I hope it's picked up on the biopsies that were done!  

Well, got the results today and everything came back normal..  so no celiac disease.  I should be happy, right?!  But oddly, I'm actually disappointed.  This would have been a manageable, not so serious diagnosis with an easy solution that didn't require medication.

Oh well.  Mystery still remains as to the cause of my abdominal pain, brain fog and all the other complaints. Or maybe this is just the way I'm supposed to feel and it's 'normal'.  That would suck!

It depends on the doctor.

Most damage is microscopic. So unless the damage is really bad, visible damage probably won't be seen.

I haven't gotten my biopsy results back but just wanted to add that my endoscopy showed gross abnormality of mucosal atrophy. So sometimes there is visible damage. But I am assuming my biopsy will be consistent with my serology test results and be positive for celiacs.

"The small intestine is about 15 to 32 feet in length. It is very possible to miss damage."

lol - I know.  I just meant that I was happy that he took so many biopsies because I know that is important.  Not sure if there are many doctors out there that take more than 8 biopsies...

In any case, if there is damage, I hope it's picked up on the biopsies that were done!

Actually, a celiac doctor in Canada said at a lecture I attended to request 11+ biopsies and even at this seemingly high number it could still be missed. She looks at biopsy reports completed by other physicians herself and said a low percentage are done and/or read correctly. But at least yours took 8, rather than a paltry 2 or 3.