Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

spirit_walk

Bulk Bins And Gluten Cc

Rate this topic

I do avoid bulk bins with scoops.  If I am desperate for nuts, I look for packages not processed in wheat facilities, in a pinch I will use gravity bins.   No matter where I get them from, I wash the nuts carefully in a colander before using them.  Usually, I order nuts from Azure Standard. .  Azure Standard can send UPS and also deliver to many states.  They have sent me fresh products and I keep them in the freezer or refrigerator to keep them fresh.  They have been excellent about getting products that I suggest.

We never buy from bulk bins anymore and had a hard time finding nuts in our local stores that aren't produced in shared facilities with wheat. I finally found Wonderful brand raw almonds that seem to be okay, though they're usually out of stock at our local Stop & Shop. I buy a bunch of bags whenever I'm lucky enough to find them! We've also eaten their pistachios in shells with no problems. I have not contacted the company to verify their manufacturing processes, but the the "shared facilities" statement on their bags just says they're processed in a facility with other nuts, without mentioning wheat.