cyclinglady

Funny Cost For Celiac Blood Panel

Rate this topic

I was formally diagnosed a year ago.  My husband has not been formally diagnosed, but went gluten free 13 years ago at the advice of my allergist and his MD/GP.  Since my daughter was symptom free (I know….my only symptom was anemia), I waited until the "Affordable Care Act" was officially in place to have her tested for celiac disease.  We are self-employed and I was already "uninsurable" which meant that I was able to keep my old insurance but wasn't able to shop around for other insurance.  In my state, I could get new insurance but at an extra premium (we pay about $22K/year for three of us as it stands now).  My daughter has her own policy and I didn't want a "ding" on her record or any rejection.

Her results were negative.  Yeah!  

I received her bill from her insurance company yesterday.  The test was about $600.00.   Her insurance has set charges (negotiated rates), we had to pay the total lab costs of $68.00 since we have not met her deductible.    At first I just thought it was some kind of co-pay, but that was the full amount.  I cringe to think what folks without insurance must pay!  

Fortunately, my husband and I have a HMO policy that covers just about everything (and we pay through the nose for it).  

Yikes! 

I would have paid the $600 since health is everything to us, but still?  Why such a disparity in charges?  

I have noticed extreme difference in charges.  If the doctor's believe I am denied coverage, than my bill goes down.  For example I recently got a thyroid full panel.  I heard from the insurance company which said the doctor had billed $528 dollars for the test.  Meanwhile, I got notice from the doctor's office that if the insurance company did not cover the price I would be billed the full cost of $128! 

I also had a MRI for my son once.  When the insurance company refused to pay the $1500, I was billed 400 dollars.  I believe big differences like this occur and sometimes I wonder if not having insurance would be cheaper. 

This is how doctors/hops/labs/ect get more money from the insurance companys. They basicly over charge the insureace co. to get  more money from them .

When I was self pay( no insurance ) my docs would charge me a much lower rate than what they would have bill the insurance companys  .

i consider myself pretty with it, but those insurance statements are so confusing to me :unsure:  I am very thankful to have really good insurance because it's outrageous to see the charges.  The Celiac Disease Comprehensive Panel from LabCorp I had done in December was $651, and the Vitamin D was $273.  The insurance paid $82.71, and my final cost was $5.  I have to get all of my lab work done through LabCorp or else I foot the entire bill.