Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

randomequine

Symptoms (Also, Cyrex Gluten Panel?)

Rate this topic

Hello! I'm new here but have been 'lurking' for awhile now.

A little background: A few years ago I was in an extremely stressful roommate situation, during which I was put on an antidepressant and went to counseling. Prior to that experience, I was always very healthy, exercising to maintain a good weight with very very few medical problems. Following that experience, I gained about 70 lbs in just a few months, my hair began falling out, began getting chronic migraines, have issues with dry skin and brittle nails, trouble sleeping, continued low grade depression, my joints hurt like I'm much older than I am (24), am ALWAYS tired, never feeling rested, and have a horrid brain fog where I cannot remember much of anything (it got so bad it was starting to affect my work, hence seeking medical attention now). The only sticking point is that I don't have 'bad' digestive issues, just a swing between moderate constipation and moderate diarrhea. I was also severely Vitamin D deficient when I came to my new endo.

So far no doctors have really 'done' anything - I figured it was thyroid related since thyroid runs in my family, but doctors say no (though I'm not entirely convinced). Finally, my new endo suggested running a Cyrex gluten panel (a new kind that tests for inlolerance, not just Celiac?) along with some other hormonal panels and my insulin level.

After reading here, I can't help but wonder if my symptoms are gluten related....anyone deal with similar? Also, is anyone familiar with the Cyrex gluten panel and whether it's accurate? I have to wait to be tested as the doctors office has to order the panel and get it approved (yay bureaucracy!) .

Thanks everyone! I'm excited to be a part of such a great community!

Hello! I'm new here but have been 'lurking' for awhile now.

A little background: A few years ago I was in an extremely stressful roommate situation, during which I was put on an antidepressant and went to counseling. Prior to that experience, I was always very healthy, exercising to maintain a good weight with very very few medical problems. Following that experience, I gained about 70 lbs in just a few months, my hair began falling out, began getting chronic migraines, have issues with dry skin and brittle nails, trouble sleeping, continued low grade depression, my joints hurt like I'm much older than I am (24), am ALWAYS tired, never feeling rested, and have a horrid brain fog where I cannot remember much of anything (it got so bad it was starting to affect my work, hence seeking medical attention now). The only sticking point is that I don't have 'bad' digestive issues, just a swing between moderate constipation and moderate diarrhea. I was also severely Vitamin D deficient when I came to my new endo.

So far no doctors have really 'done' anything - I figured it was thyroid related since thyroid runs in my family, but doctors say no (though I'm not entirely convinced). Finally, my new endo suggested running a Cyrex gluten panel (a new kind that tests for inlolerance, not just Celiac?) along with some other hormonal panels and my insulin level.

After reading here, I can't help but wonder if my symptoms are gluten related....anyone deal with similar? Also, is anyone familiar with the Cyrex gluten panel and whether it's accurate? I have to wait to be tested as the doctors office has to order the panel and get it approved (yay bureaucracy!) .

Thanks everyone! I'm excited to be a part of such a great community!

An actual MD recommended that test? Please read something from celiac experts/ researchers

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/archives/faq/why-dont-you-recognize-tests-stool-tests-or-otherwise-for-gluten-sensitivity-that-are-currently-available-through-companies-like-enterolab-or-cyrex

"Why don’t you recognize tests (stool tests or otherwise) for non-celiac gluten sensitivity that are currently available through companies like Enterolab or Cyrex?

We only embrace tests that have endured rigorous scientific evaluations. So far, these tests have received no evidence-based support......."

Why not go to a MD and get a legitimate Celiac blood panel to start with? You have many symptoms of celiac - D & C, migraines, vitamin deficiencies, etc

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/medical-professionals/guide/symptoms

Edited by kareng

An actual MD recommended that test? Please read something from celiac experts/ researchershttp://www.cureceliacdisease.org/archives/faq/why-dont-you-recognize-tests-stool-tests-or-otherwise-for-gluten-sensitivity-that-are-currently-available-through-companies-like-enterolab-or-cyrex

"Why don’t you recognize tests (stool tests or otherwise) for non-celiac gluten sensitivity that are currently available through companies like Enterolab or Cyrex?

We only embrace tests that have endured rigorous scientific evaluations. So far, these tests have received no evidence-based support......."

Why not go to a MD and get a legitimate Celiac blood panel to start with? You have many symptoms of celiac - D & C, migraines, vitamin deficiencies, etchttp://www.cureceliacdisease.org/medical-professionals/guide/symptoms

Hmmmmm thanks for that info! What he perscribed is a blood test, not a stool/saliva test and he said it was new? I'm not sure.

He said he wasn't going to run a Celiac panel due to my lack of digestive issues.... Maybe it's time to find (yet another..... :( ) a new doctor.

I'm just really frustrated that I NEVER feel well....but I don't want to try gluten free until I'm tested....

Hmmmmm thanks for that info! What he perscribed is a blood test, not a stool/saliva test and he said it was new? I'm not sure.

He said he wasn't going to run a Celiac panel due to my lack of digestive issues.... Maybe it's time to find (yet another..... :( ) a new doctor.

I'm just really frustrated that I NEVER feel well....but I don't want to try gluten free until I'm tested....

They actually say they don't recognize stool or otherwise from those companies. There isn't currently a medically accepted test for gluten sensitivity except to stop eating it and see what happens. But I would hate for you to do that without getting tested first. Any doc can order the test - even your OB/ GYN. But an endocrine doc isn't usually involved with that so he probably doesn't know much about it.

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/archives/faq/can-i-be-screened-for-gluten-sensitivity

Can I be screened for non-celiac gluten sensitivity?

There are no tests to diagnose non-celiac gluten sensitivity at this time. Which means, no research has been through a scientific, evidence-based, peer-reviewed study that proves what some labs claim as a way to detect non-celiac gluten sensitivity.

I would print off the list of symptoms - at least the short list, from the link I gave you. Highlight all the ones that apply to you and ask your regular doc for the celiac blood panel. Make sure the doc can see where you got the list so he knows its a legit source.

Sorry. For some reason on my iPad, if I want to go to another site and copy something to here, I sometimes lose my whole post. So I end up posting and then editing

Edited by kareng

They actually say they don't recognize stool or otherwise from those companies. There isn't currently a medically accepted test for gluten sensitivity except to stop eating it and see what happens. But I would hate for you to do that without getting tested first. Any doc can order the test - even your OB/ GYN. But an endocrine doc isn't usually involved with that so he probably doesn't know much about it.http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/archives/faq/can-i-be-screened-for-gluten-sensitivity

Can I be screened for non-celiac gluten sensitivity?

There are no tests to diagnose non-celiac gluten sensitivity at this time. Which means, no research has been through a scientific, evidence-based, peer-reviewed study that proves what some labs claim as a way to detect non-celiac gluten sensitivity.

Thanks :) The endo is ordering it because he was the one I went to since all my symptoms match hypothyroid (and it runs VERYY strongly in my family) - he then told me that I was just Vitamin D deficient and he'd 'watch it' and I broke down in his office so he offered to run some hormone panels and the gluten test. Your response made me realize that perhaps I need to check out someone else so I'm going to do some research and possibly find another doc who might listen a little better and know more about possible Celiac/gluten sensitivity!

I do have a horse, but the forum pulled my Facebook profile picture instead LOL

Thanks :) The endo is ordering it because he was the one I went to since all my symptoms match hypothyroid (and it runs VERYY strongly in my family) - he then told me that I was just Vitamin D deficient and he'd 'watch it' and I broke down in his office so he offered to run some hormone panels and the gluten test. Your response made me realize that perhaps I need to check out someone else so I'm going to do some research and possibly find another doc who might listen a little better and know more about possible Celiac/gluten sensitivity!

I do have a horse, but the forum pulled my Facebook profile picture instead LOL

You can go into your profile and change your picture if you want. I do it often! :)

Yes, please make sure that you get your doc to run the celiac panel before going gluten-free. Otherwise you may lose your opportunity to get a diagnosis, forever. In my case, gluten-free helped me and when I went back to eating gluten, the symptoms were very dangerous and severe so I couldn't finish the gluten trial and will never get a diagnosis.