Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Rate this topic

Well it all started with doing a google search for ( stomach pain, lower back pain and gas) and here I am.  :blink:  I had GBS in Jan of 2010. Did really well for a while and then I became lactose intolerant which happens alot after this surgery.No big deal easy enough. I think I became gluten intolerant at least 2-3 years ago and never realized it until now. I always blamed alot of my symptoms on other things such as IBS, other allergies I have, the weather changes, stress. 

So I started researching the symptoms and wow this explains alot. The stomach pain and bloating, lower back pain which started in Dec and has not stopped.
Being extremely tired moreso then usual.
Depression and anxiety and panic which I am actually on meds for panic that started a couple years ago. Also my concentration level has gotten really bad. Foggy Brain.
Headaches, irritability. Woke up one morning last month with a pounding headache which I usually only get if I have a sinus infection. Also getting just annoying little headaches more often now.
Constipation and diarrhea , foul smelling stools and gas. Thought this could be IBS.
I became lactose intolerant about 4 months after my GBS.
Bone and Joint pain and Osteoporosis.-  Was having some implant surgery done. In taking xrays of my bone in my mouth where the screws are it shows that the bone is going down which means we couldt complete the surgery. My dentist thought I was rejecting the metal  but now I am pretty sure it must be from the this.  
Loss of hair, thought that was from the GBS surgery
I also got terrible Acne in Dec and it still hasn’t totally gone away. Could not figure out what it was coming from as I usually have pretty clear skin.
Itchy skin and dry.
Mouth feeling dry and Urinating alot more.

As I think back to these symptoms its been coming on now for a few years. I just always dismissed them for something else. I would from time to time get a week or so of the stomach cramps and lower back pain and just feeling bad in general then it would go away.

Have done all the normal blood work to make sure its nothing else. Blood work was fine. Talked to my dr about doing the blood test for the gluten so doing that on Monday.

So, now I have to learn what not to eat that has gluten in it which is alot of things I love of course or buying gluten free or baking which I am not so into that. LOL Lactose was pretty easy compared to this. LOL However I am thinking well if this is all it is then at least its nothing serious and can be corrected by just a change in diet.  :o 

Greetings Gena,

All of that doesn't sound very fun.  I am glad you are planning to do the tests.  There are about 5 tests on the celiac panel.  I am hoping someone will list them for you.  After that one usually has a endoscopy to look for damage in the small intestine. You seem to have a good attitude starting out.  It sounds like you are ready for anything!  I hope you will get some definitive answers soon!

D

Hi Gena,

Welcome to the forum! :)  The celiac antibodie tests are listed below.  You should have all of them done at once.

Be sure to keep eating gluten like regular until all ltesting is complete.  Testing usually starts with a blood draw for antibodie tests and then is followed up with an endoscopy to take biopsy samples from the small intestine.  You shouldn't stop eating gluten until all that testing is done.

There is a really wide range of symptoms in celiac disease patients.  your symptoms can easily fit in there.  Gall bladder problems are somewhat common in untreated celiacs also.  I think doctors should automatcilayy test new gall bladder patients for celiac disease, but they don't do that now.

Lactose intolerance is another common symptom in celiac disease.  The antibodies attack the villi lining the small intestine and destroy the ability to make lactase, the enzme for digesting lactose.  Sometimes people get the ability to digest lactose back after being gluten-free for a several months.

Celiac disease antibodie tests

Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgA
Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgG
Anti-Endomysial (EMA) IgA
Anti-Tissue Transglutaminase (tTG) IgA
Deamidated Gliadin Peptide (DGP) IgA and IgG
Total Serum IgA

Good luck with the testing.  I want to add that I tested negative both in blood and scoping, but I eliminated gluten anyhow.  In 3.5 weeks, I already see a difference in my bathroom habits.  I'm not hungry, am adjusting well to the gluten-free foods, have no cravings, don't feel as if I'm being punished by not being able to eat....whatever has gluten...and I am doing just fine.  You will do fine too.   As written above, continue to eat gluten until you are tested.  However, after the tests, if they turn out negative for celiac, you may wish to eliminate gluten for a period of 6 weeks to see if your symptoms subside.  Mine definitely are responding to a gluten-free menu.  Good luck.

Thanks for the welcomes. :)  I am scheduled for a Colonoscopy end of April.  I had my gall bladder removed I guess 20 years ago. 

I have pretty much decided after this blood work to stop gluten anyways no matter what the test results. I am 100% sure myself that this is what it is. 

I am healthy otherwise, never having many health issues so this kinda explains alot. 

Perhaps check and see if you can have an endoscopic biopsy (to check for celiac disease) at the same time as your colonoscopy? Kill two birds with one stone. ;)

Make sure you continue to eat gluten until all testing is done.

Best wishes.