This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Negative Bloods Endoscopy On Saturday

Suzy Wong

Suzy Wong Newbie

Was hoping someone could help me.

I have been struggling for years with lots of problems. Since a hysterectomy year ago I have developed worsening of symptoms.

Most of my life, I have been anemic and have always been thin and never gain weight. Same weight as I was a teenager and now 52. I suffer from a lot of fatigue and sometimes struggle at work, a very lazy bowel/constipation, gastric pain, chest wall feels very bruised, nausea, sometimes vomiting, bad bloating, headaches with nausea and morning headache, bone pain and back groin, hip and knee pain, oh just recovering from my second frozen shoulder and not forgetting ! I am a thrush magnet :( I find most days a struggle but work full time and have an active life but I usually pay for it if I do more than I should. I sometimes feel fluey with brain fog. Sinus and ear problems too.

Anyway, i had blood tests for celiac which were negative and because I have anemia again the doc ordered an upper endoscopy and this happens on Saturday. Will this detect celiac? I also wondered if someone could look at my bloods to determine I got correct tests for celiac and generally give your thoughts. I have felt like a celiac for about 10 years after having h pylori eradicated.

Transferrin 2-.0-4.0 = 1.86

Transferrin sat =41

Vit B12 180-2000 = 416

Serum folate 2.8-20 =5.6

Iron 10-28 normal at 20 after taking iron tablets

Ferritin 15-200 was 9 and after iron 34

IgA 0.8-4.5 =. 1.14

TSH 0.2-4.5 =1.4

Free T4 9-21 = 13

Anti tTG IgA (DS2) 0.1-5.0 = 0.19

Any advice would be really appreciated. Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

Hey Suzy,

It's a holiday in the U.S.  Please be patient and someone with more expertise at interpreting blood tests will comment soon, I am sure!

nvsmom Community Regular

Was hoping someone could help me.

I have been struggling for years with lots of problems. Since a hysterectomy year ago I have developed worsening of symptoms.

Most of my life, I have been anemic and have always been thin and never gain weight. Same weight as I was a teenager and now 52. I suffer from a lot of fatigue and sometimes struggle at work, a very lazy bowel/constipation, gastric pain, chest wall feels very bruised, nausea, sometimes vomiting, bad bloating, headaches with nausea and morning headache, bone pain and back groin, hip and knee pain, oh just recovering from my second frozen shoulder and not forgetting ! I am a thrush magnet :( I find most days a struggle but work full time and have an active life but I usually pay for it if I do more than I should. I sometimes feel fluey with brain fog. Sinus and ear problems too.

Anyway, i had blood tests for celiac which were negative and because I have anemia again the doc ordered an upper endoscopy and this happens on Saturday. Will this detect celiac? I also wondered if someone could look at my bloods to determine I got correct tests for celiac and generally give your thoughts. I have felt like a celiac for about 10 years after having h pylori eradicated.

Transferrin 2-.0-4.0 = 1.86

Transferrin sat =41

Vit B12 180-2000 = 416

Serum folate 2.8-20 =5.6

Iron 10-28 normal at 20 after taking iron tablets

Ferritin 15-200 was 9 and after iron 34

IgA 0.8-4.5 =. 1.14

TSH 0.2-4.5 =1.4

Free T4 9-21 = 13

Anti tTG IgA (DS2) 0.1-5.0 = 0.19

Any advice would be really appreciated. Thanks

The only celiac test you had done was the tTG IgA (anti tissue transglutaminase immunoglobulin A) and it was negative. It is advisable to have more than one test done as false negative test results (even when your IgA levels are normal) are not uncommon. 

These are the tests that can be done:

tTG IgA and tTG IgG

DGP IgA and DGP IgG (newer tests that appear to be better at detecting early celiac disease)

EMA IgA (rarely positive if the tTG IgA is negative)

AGA IgA and AGA IgG (older and less reliable tests)

Make sure you keep eating gluten to get the most accurate tests.

It can't hurt to request more blood work done when you see the doctor next. I would especailly ask for the tTG IgG, DGP IgG, and DGP IgA. Some people are positive only in the DGP tests or only in the IgG based tests (even if they are not deficient in IgA)

Good luck withe the biopsy. Make sure they take at least 6 samples.  :)

frieze Community Regular

....and your IgA is within normal limits, but on the low side...

Suzy Wong Newbie

Thanks guys for replying. Here in the uk this is the standard tests and not sure if they would freely do others. I will see what the endoscopy says. Funnily enough 10 years ago I had endo to see if the h pylori had gone. They took biopsies but refused to look at the small bowel because the Gp hadn't ordered it. I was folic and iron deficient at the time. So here we go again, so let's hope they have a look this time. My current Gp has asked for it as he suspects i may be celiac. I am so full of doubts and anxious about what they will or will not find. I just can't function feeling so tired all the time.

Although my IgA is in the normal low range, what does this mean?

I am doing my best to eat gluten but I feel sick when I have to swallow it. :) only a few more days to go.

Quick question, I have also developed really red palms, look blotchy as if I have spilled hot water on them. Gp says it is probably because I am anemic and liver function tests all normal. Is this a celiac trait? I have very fair Celtic ski as from Scotland.

Thanks again x

Archived