beth01

Quick Questions About Tests

Rate this topic

I have a family member that just had testing done.  She had just the tTg IgA and tTg IgG, they were both 0.4.  She didn't have the IgA total, is that normal to do?

I know they normally run the tTg IgA and IgA together just in case of IgA deficiency.  Is it safe for her doctor to tell her she is negative for Celiac?  I just want to make sure, she also has a thyroid problem, Sjogren's, and Lupus.  I just want to be sure I am not giving her false information.

About 5% of celiacs are deficient in IgA so it is a good idea to get that checked just in case... Someone has to be that 1 in 20, right?  I don't believe IgG deficiency is linked to celiac disease at all.

The tTG tests are very good tests but they can miss a few people. If possible it gives a more accurate result if other tests are run too.  The anti-deaminated gliadin peptides tests (DGP IgA and DGP IgG) might be good to run; some celiacs get caught by those when the tTG missed them.

There is also the anti-gliadin antibodies tests (AGA IgA and AGA IgG) which are not that reliable, and the EMA IgA test but that one is very rarely positive if the tTG IgA was not.

This report has more info (especially on page 12):http://www.worldgastroenterology.org/assets/export/userfiles/2012_Celiac%20Disease_long_FINAL.pdf