Georgia_guy

New Test With Minimal Risk?

Rate this topic

Do I came accross this article, and I know several people on here have had major issues with the gluten challenge to get tested. I am curious if anyone has seen any more information on this new test that does NOT require a gluten challenge??

http://www.healthline.com/health-news/food-new-blood-test-for-celiac-disease-011714

I kind of have the attitude that I will buy into it once it is through the testing and approval pipeline.  However, if there were a way to diagnose without exposure to gluten, it would be really great for many people.

This would definitely be an improvement over current testing, but for some of us, 3 days of eating gluten would still be too long. With my prior history, I just couldn't take the chance of eating a gluten rich diet for 3 days. 

I can see the potential of a lot of people getting diagnosed with it, though, especially those who just feel really sick when they eat gluten, but don't have life threatening or potentially disabling complications. 

I suppose, though, those of us who won't risk eating gluten for any reason kind of have our answer anyway. My body hates gluten and no test result will change the way I live and eat anyhow.

This appears to be a link to the blood test being developed.

This test does require a gluten challenge.   It is just 3 days of gluten instead of weeks.    Info/articles about this test have been linked to many times on here. 

She sums it up nicely:

https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/blog/1038/entry-1994-hope-for-a-less-challenging-gluten-challenge/

Karen, I probably should have mentioned that when I shared the link.

BlessedMommy, I recall seeing a post from you about your reaction. I don't blame you for not even being willing to do 3 days.

On the bright side though, if this test gets approved, it will be easier for those who don't get tested first to go get tested with less of a risk. It also gives hope that with more research maybe one day there will be a test with no gluten challenge.

I stopped eating gluten and all packaged products 7 years ago.  I also did a couple water fasts which supposedly would heal your intestines.  So then before the endoscopy I ate bread for 2 months occasionally.  After taking it out of your diet for so long, it's a hard habit to bring back in.  So I don't know if that was sufficient to get an accurate endoscopy.  That's why the allergist wanted the genetic test.  He told me it showed I have a 1 in 35 chance of having celiac, but I am still in limbo diagnosis-wise.  So this new test would be wonderful.  I also read an article that people should NOT go gluten free til they've been tested but I would've suffered for 7 years longer if I had waited on a doctor to test me.

Because of the similarilty between SIBO and Celiac, now they attribute the osteoporosis, the malabsorption, the autoimmune diseases, etc., to SIBO.  Yet celiacs also are more likely to have SIBO too.