This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Weight Loss

Siobhan

Siobhan Rookie

Hi Guys

I only had minor symptoms before I was dx'd so didn't start the gluten-free diet as a skinny person. I'm not fat just at the upper end of of the acceptable weight range for my height and would be more than happy to lose a bit.

My biggest vice was cake and biscuits but now that these are off limits I'm hoping it'll be easier to lose weight ? I know there are alternatives in the shops but they don't look yummy enough to tempt me. Plus quite a few coffee shops have no gluten-free option.

I seem to be eating more fruit inbetween meals to fill me up so it looks a pretty healthy diet. So I was wondering if anyone had found they lost weight on this diet ?

Cheers

Siobhan in Australia

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

newo ikkin Rookie

I lost about 10 pounds in 3 months after I went gluten-free.

Now I lose 1 to 2 pounds about every month.

Staying active helped alot too.

pixiegirl Enthusiast

I lost weight too, but I mostly eat just food in its natural state, i.e. fruit, veggies, meat, rice.... when I get in the mood for snacks or gluten-free bread (I make Manna by Anna) then I'll gain a pound or two. But sticking to unprocessed food I always loose weight.

Susan

Siobhan Rookie

Ah yes the g.f bread ! Tastes fine but boy it must be super high glycemic as an hour after a sandwich I feel as if I've had nothing ! Will need to do some serious thinking about what to have for lunch ?? I've never been a salad person so I thinking fruit and yoghurt, home made soup omletes ? Thankfully I'm a home so can cook it if need be.

Its good to see that people have lost weight. I think I can too without too much effort.

Siobhan

Guest nini

I've actually lost about 85 pounds in the 2 1/2 years that I've been gluten free! I still have more weight to lose, but I def. like my new body a whole lot more!

I went from wearing a size 3x to now I'm in medium 14/16's!!! So excited. Would love to be in a 6/8, so that is my goal

GClrdsprn Newbie
Hi Guys

I only  had minor symptoms before I was dx'd so didn't start the gluten-free diet as a skinny person.  I'm not fat just at the upper end of of the acceptable weight range for my height and would be more than happy to lose a bit.

My biggest vice was cake and biscuits but now that these are off limits I'm hoping it'll be easier to lose weight ?  I know there are alternatives in the shops but they don't look yummy enough to tempt me.  Plus quite a few coffee shops have no gluten-free option.

I seem to be eating more fruit inbetween meals to fill me up so it looks a pretty healthy diet.  So I was wondering if anyone had found they lost weight on this diet ?

Cheers

Siobhan in Australia

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

GClrdsprn Newbie
Hi Guys

I only  had minor symptoms before I was dx'd so didn't start the gluten-free diet as a skinny person.  I'm not fat just at the upper end of of the acceptable weight range for my height and would be more than happy to lose a bit.

My biggest vice was cake and biscuits but now that these are off limits I'm hoping it'll be easier to lose weight ?  I know there are alternatives in the shops but they don't look yummy enough to tempt me.  Plus quite a few coffee shops have no gluten-free option.

I seem to be eating more fruit inbetween meals to fill me up so it looks a pretty healthy diet.  So I was wondering if anyone had found they lost weight on this diet ?

Cheers

Siobhan in Australia

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GClrdsprn Newbie

I have lost almost 100 pounds in 1 year. I just keep lossing weight and eat all the time. I hope that the weight loss will level off in the next year. I was put in the hospital and had my gallbladder out and that was when I was informed that I have celiac disease. I had a blood tranfusion for animia and that made me feel much better. People please don't worry about the weight loss so much it will level off with time. If you keep worrying about the weight loss you will most likely lose more weight. I wish all of us celiac people all the luck in the world with our disease. Lets not worry and see if that helps. Stress will make you lose weight too so don't stress about the weight loss either. Good luck GClrdsprn@aol.com

ianm Apprentice

I lost well over 80lbs and no more bloating either. I have energy that I never thought possible too.

Rusla Enthusiast

I have lost 5 pounds in this the first week of being gluten-free. Even with my synthroid I could not lose weight until being gluten-free. I am probably going to gain it all back when I have to do one week of gluten before going tot he dermiatologist.

Rusla Enthusiast
I've actually lost about 85 pounds in the 2 1/2 years that I've been gluten free! I still have more weight to lose, but I def. like my new body a whole lot more!

I went from wearing a size 3x to now I'm in medium 14/16's!!! So excited. Would love to be in a 6/8, so that is my goal

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was a size 6 before so, now I am a 2x and looking for getting back to my size 6 self I hope in the futrer.

bluelotus Contributor

I lost about 7 lbs but I have since gained it back. I think that some of our alternatives are pretty high cal., so it may be more difficult than you think depending on your current diet. I would love to lose 10-15 lbs, but have no idea how - I feel bad enough for myself now with how little I can eat, I can't imagine being on a diet :( And, I work out about as much as my schedule allows (every day for 1-1.5hours).....

Rusla Enthusiast
I lost about 7 lbs but I have since gained it back.  I think that some of our alternatives are pretty high cal., so it may be more difficult than you think depending on your current diet.  I would love to lose 10-15 lbs, but have no idea how  -  I feel bad enough for myself now with how little I can eat, I can't imagine being on a diet  :(  And, I work out about as much as my schedule allows (every day for 1-1.5hours).....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When you have a little to lose it takes longer than a lot.

Guest nini
I lost about 7 lbs but I have since gained it back.  I think that some of our alternatives are pretty high cal., so it may be more difficult than you think depending on your current diet.  I would love to lose 10-15 lbs, but have no idea how  -  I feel bad enough for myself now with how little I can eat, I can't imagine being on a diet  :(  And, I work out about as much as my schedule allows (every day for 1-1.5hours).....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I had to really start watching my caloric intake and stay away from a lot of the substitute gluten free products like the bagels, donuts, cookies and such (except as an occasional treat) and stick with fresh fruits and veggies, lean meats, limited amounts of potatoes and rice, and also smaller portions. I fix my food on the small salad plate instead of the dinner plate and inevitably end up eating less. Not allowed to go back for seconds either.

I also use the Larabars and Enjoy Life Foods cereal bars as meal replacement bars. I can eat 2 of them and still keep the calories down and still feel fulfilled. I also snack more on healthier options, low fat options etc.

When I first went gluten-free I didn't care about any of that, I was just happy to be able to eat without being sick, the weight was coming off too slowly for my comfort, so I really had to change my habits.

tiffjake Enthusiast

I went gluten-free after an Lame Advertisement test (which dosen't confirm celiac disease, just an intolerence, so I didn't take it too seriously at that time) and lost 8 lbs in 3 days. My body just started flushing stuff out. It was kind-of scary. I was pee-ing almost every 30min. I had been so bloated for so long that I didn't even know how bad it was. It stoped (and all came back) when I had gluten again. But now I am back to gluten-free (as of yesterday) and I am interested to see what happens. I am very overweight. I considered Gasteric Bypass, but I am SO glad that I didn't do that. Seems like I already have digestion issues! I hope that not being able to eat the refined and processed foods will make my body work better and be healthier, therefore losing weight. Thanks to everyone that has posted that is not super thin. I was under the impression that celiac disease was a thin persons problem, and therefore doubted my Lame Advertisement test results. God Bless!

luvs2eat Collaborator

I have so NOT lost weight in the 3 years I've been gluten-free. I was diagnosed quickly too and hadn't lost weight with gastrointestinal symptoms... but I can not get this extra 20 lbs I gained after going gluten-free off!!

At this point, I'm exercising a lot more just so I can get into a little better shape and stay flexible!

bluelotus Contributor
I had to really start watching my caloric intake and  stay away from a  lot of the substitute gluten free products like the bagels, donuts, cookies and such (except as an occasional treat) and stick with fresh fruits and veggies, lean meats, limited amounts of potatoes and rice, and also smaller portions. I fix my food on the small salad plate instead of the dinner plate and inevitably end up eating less. Not allowed to go back for seconds either.

I also use the Larabars and Enjoy Life Foods cereal bars as meal replacement bars. I can eat 2 of them and still keep the calories down and still feel fulfilled. I also snack more on healthier options, low fat options etc.

When I first went gluten-free I didn't care about any of that, I was just happy to be able to eat without being sick, the weight was coming off too slowly for my comfort, so I really had to change my habits.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good advice, but I don't really eat the high calorie stuff except the gluten-free enjoy life cereal. I gave up on the bread, donuts, and all that b/c the taste wasn't all that great....kind of felt like a waste. Oh well.....guess my body is just happy where it is.

bknutson Apprentice

Hi, I have been diagnosed for about 5 months. But befor that I was so very sick and I lost about 50 lbs. I needed too, and that part of it made me very happy. Now that I have been gluten-free for a few months, well only a couple, cause I thought I was,but it turned out I was using lipstick that had gluten in it, anyway I have gained back 10 lbs now. This has made me very unhappy. IF I had to become so very sick to lose weight, I sure dont want to gain it back. But I eat alot of peanut butter and honey.

GClrdsprn Newbie
Hi,  I have been diagnosed for about 5 months. But befor that I was so very sick and I lost about 50 lbs. I needed too, and that part of it made me very happy. Now that I have been gluten-free for a few months, well only a couple, cause I thought I was,but it turned out I was using lipstick that had gluten in it, anyway I have gained back 10 lbs now. This has made me very unhappy. IF I had to become so very sick to lose weight, I sure dont want to gain it back. But I eat alot of peanut butter and honey.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

GClrdsprn Newbie

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi,bknutson

This is GClrdsprn I was sick for 1-1/2 years It was a combination of gallbladder stones and celiac disease. I lost the 100 lbs and I am still losing weight. I hope that the weight will level off sooooon. Some people don't reconize me and others say wow you look good. If I keep lossing weight I'll look bad. I weighted 270 at the start of this and now weight 173 and I am 5feet 9inches. So if I get down to 150 that will be ok but anymore then that I'll look sick. I hope that you lose weight without the sickness like I am. I wish you all the luck in the world and will pray for you. Thank you for replying back to me.

Thank you GClrdsprn@aol.com

GClrdsprn Newbie
Hi,bknutson

This is GClrdsprn I was sick for 1-1/2 years It was a combination of gallbladder stones and celiac disease. I lost the 100 lbs and I am still losing weight. I hope that the weight will level off sooooon. Some people don't reconize me and others say wow you look good. If I keep lossing weight I'll look bad. I weighted 270 at the start of this and now weight 173 and I am 5feet 9inches. So if I get down to 150 that will be ok but anymore then that I'll look sick. I hope that you lose weight without the sickness like I am. I wish you all the luck in the world and will pray for you. Thank you for replying back to me.

Thank you GClrdsprn@aol.com

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I eat alot of watermellon, corn flakes, cottage cheese, chicken, fish,and cabbage. I think that is why the weight is staying off and I'm losing more weight. So try to eat more vegs and watermellon for snacks that should help you to start losing the weight again. Good luck GClrdsprn@aol.com

bknutson Apprentice

gclrdsprn,

when they found my celiac it was because I was so very sick. they were treating me for everything else, irritol bowel, acid reflux, etc. I had already lost the 50 lbs in just 4 months maybe 5 months and looked like I was starving to death with big black eyes and white skin, weak, and all that. It was terrible. I never ever want to be that sick again. They did a biopsy and found that I have celiac disease. If that is what Gluten does to me I dont want it. And I to lived on water melon and tomatoes all summer long but now there arent any. The losing weight did stablize. And I stayed at one area for a while and I was feeling better. more energy, less pain. But now the weight is coming back on and I dont want it to. I think it is from all the peanutbutter and honey. I eat alot of it. But that is all I eat. You said something about coffee. Do you do ok with coffee..

Archived