This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Michelle In Utah?

anjayrose

anjayrose Newbie

I saw a post from a Michelle in Utah saying that she had a GI doc at the U of U. This was back in June. I was hoping she is still around to tell me who that doc is. I need a doc and have the U insurance. The way I found that post is Google. What a wonderful thing that is. HELP! :blink:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

skbird Contributor

She hasn't been posting lately but I"ll send her an email and see if she can get back to you.

Take care

Stephanie

Emme999 Enthusiast

Hello :)

(Michelle has changed her major to Health Promotion & Education & is SLAMMED writing a research proposal paper! And then there's the rest of my stuff... ugh :P )

ANYWAY!

The doctor/nurse practitioner who helped me the most at the Student Health Services is Suzanne Martin. She is AWESOME and helped me to figure out all of my stuff - directing me to all the right providers. If you see her, tell her that Michelle with Celiac says hi ;) She's probably know who you're talking about! (Poor woman!)

If you need help with Celiac or anything like that (from a local U student, please email me :) I could always use a local Celiac friend ;)) But - I'm not going to be any help to anyone until after the 18th when I hand in this hellish paper. Ugh!

Also - I am seeing Dr. Hugo Rodier now (who teaches nutrition at the U. Med School) and is brilliant. He even has his own radio show :o (Does this mean anything? I don't know ;)) Anyway, he's helping me get through my decade long (okay, not really) battle with Candida that seems to have overtaken my intestines. His focus for health is the intestines - so if you need a general practitioner (who is great, but not covered completely by the student health insurance and prescribes unbelievably costly supplements) - he's your man. His office is located in Draper.

Contact me (email) if you need anything else. Best wishes ;)

- Michelle :wub:

P.S. HI EVERYBODY!!! I MISS YOU ALL :)

anjayrose Newbie
:D Thank you so much for getting back to me. I am not sure if the U insurance covers the school of medicine but I will definately check. I dont want to go to some GI doc that thinks I have IBS again. I feel better on the diet but I just need some things answered and would like to have a positive diagnosis. This maybe my last thanksgiving as a real person. People at work dont understand me and I am starting to get really angry everytime they do something that involves food but leave me out. BTW I work for the U, but I dont go to school there. Thanks for all your help! I hope to be posting more. :wacko:
celiac3270 Collaborator

Yay! You're back--sort of--will be back.

• 3 weeks later...
bknutson Apprentice

Bean, or Mehielle, in Utah, this is Barb in Utah, I have a Dr. Pederson in SLC and he is the on who diagnosed me right off the bat the first time I went to him. I have not made it into the dietision yet but hope to soon. Are you doing really good with your celiac disease? How old are you? Have you heard all the skuttle but here in Utah about it all being such bull and another lyme desiese thing. That there is no such thing and so on? I had a lady at my work say that and I told her to have my stomach for a week and then tell me it was bull..

Any way it is nice to know that someone nearby has the same thing.

Barb

Emme999 Enthusiast

Hey Barb,

Is Dr. Pederson the gastroenterologist at St. Marks? I've met him before (he spoke at one of the GIG meetings) and he seems like a really cool guy.

I never met with a dietician but went to a few presentations on Celiac by dieticians who totally sucked. You'll find much better info. here ;)

I am doing *really* well with my Celiac. Well, except for the fact that I have intestinal candida that wont go away *sigh* :(

BUT! I have not been glutened in months and feel fantastic :wub: I'm 32 years old and feel better than I have through most of my life. Before I was diagnosed (and during the first months after I was diagnosed) I suffered from a lot of depression/anxiety/irritability & such. Now I am finally a happy woman and not so exhausted all of the time. :) Life is good. (And hopefully will keep getting better! - I've only been gluten-free since May)

I *haven't* heard anything about Celiac being a joke here. In fact, over the past couple of months there have been two huge articles in the papers (Tribune & Deseret News) about Celiac disease. A new store also just opened in West Valley called "Against the Grain" that caters specifically to Celiac people :) I haven't been there yet but I'm thrilled at the mere thought of it ;)

Best wishes to you!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

shayesmom Rookie
Hey Barb,

I am doing *really* well with my Celiac. Well, except for the fact that I have intestinal candida that wont go away *sigh* :(

What have you tried for getting rid of the intestinal candida?

I know there is Nystatin and a host of other drugs but I have found that supplements such as Candex are one of the best products in killing off candida. Probiotics also are helpful (but seem to take longer). And the only other thing is diet. No refined sugars and fermented foods. Also cut back on mushrooms for a while until the bacteria is under control. You could also throw in some yogurt with live bacterial cultures if you don't want to take a pill. Sorry if any of this is a repeat of what you've been doing.

Your story is wonderful and I'm glad that you feel so well.

Emme999 Enthusiast

Thanks for the suggestions but (yup) I've already tried all of them.

Fortunately, I've found a doctor who addresses intestinal issues and is furious that few other doctors acknowledge intestinal candida.

I have done numerous courses of Diflucan, damn near every alternative method you can think of, and diet too.

Currently, we are attempting to fight it with Lamisil (part of it isn't absorbed and goes into the intestine - which some think may address intestinal candida), oral gentamycin (a broad spectrum antibiotic to kill anything else that might be in there causing trouble), probiotics, a no sugar/grain/processed foods diet, and tomorrow I pick up my prescription for an anti-parasite drug. (I don't know the name of it yet.) I figure if all this stuff doesn't kill the Candida it will probably kill me and then I wont have to worry about it anymore anyway ;)

Thank you for your concern and suggestions though. Compassion is always greatly appreciated :wub:

And - like I said - despite the Candida, I am feeling exceptionally well. (Sadly) I've become used to this infection and it doesn't irritate me like it used to. I would, however, love to be rid of it and find out who a truly healthy me is ;)

Archived