Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

littleburgy

Do The Challenge Symptoms Ever Ease Up? Just Need Support :(

So I'm now on day 3 of my challenge and if I ever doubted I had a problem with gluten, I am not now.

I was only off the gluten for about 2 weeks and I'm a little surprised at how uncomfortable and crummy I feel. As I understand it, the longer you are off the gluten, the worse it is to go back on. 

I am having a hard time with this today. Do the symptoms ease up at all? Is this just body shock from getting the gluten back?  :(

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

:( unfortunately the symptoms don't ease up in most celiacs, we just get used to them. Feeling poorly becomes the new normal.

Hang in there ad don't over do it. One or two slices of bread, or the equivalent, is all you need. Try eating in the evening so your days aren't as bad.

Good luck!

Nicole 

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993

Celiac - June, 2012

Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Join eNewsletter

Sorry you are having to go through this. If your symptoms get extremely bad do contact your doctor as they may cut the challenge short (especially if you had positive blood work) or the doctor may be able to give you some meds to get the symptoms bearable enough to do the full challenge. 

I was also only off gluten for about 2 weeks when I did my first challenge. My symptoms were severe enough that the doctor stopped the challenge, told me never to touch gluten again and referred me back to my GI doctor. The second challenge demanded by my GI caused an even more severe reaction than the first one did. That one had to be cut short also so I don't know if things would have leveled out if the challenge had been continued. 

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Join eNewsletter

Is there a possibility I could cut this challenge shorter? I had been off gluten about 2 weeks. Prior to this I was eating it all the time. For example maybe just get the levels back up for a couple of weeks and then get a test?

Join eNewsletter

Some seem to think a challenge can be shortened if one eats more gluten (up to 4 slices of bread per day for 2 weeks for the biopsy or 6 weeks for the blood test) 

Nicole 

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993

Celiac - June, 2012

Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Join eNewsletter

Is there a possibility I could cut this challenge shorter? I had been off gluten about 2 weeks. Prior to this I was eating it all the time. For example maybe just get the levels back up for a couple of weeks and then get a test?

If you were only off gluten for two weeks you should talk to your GI, or ask to speak to a nurse on the phone who will relay the info to the doctor, and ask this question of them.

I don't think you would be fully healed in just two weeks so the doctor may shorten the challenge...if they can fit you in for an endo quickly. Stress the severity of your symptoms and ask to be put on a cancelation list if you are able to get to the endo with little notice if your sceduled biopsy is a few weeks away. 

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Join eNewsletter

I'm doing better today. It may be just getting used to the way I was before. I felt so wonderful the 2 weeks I was off gluten it was like: WOW! And suddenly.... UGH! NO!!!

Unfortunately I'm on the NHS in England and the GP may still want the blood test first before requesting any other testing. It wouldn't hurt me to ask, but they're a bit bureaucratic and step by step about diagnosis and spending money on it.

A lot of my symptoms are eczema related and last night I was flaring up very badly and was so uncomfortable. And I also was so bloated I looked like I was pregnant, and my face was bloating as well. My husband used the term "horror movie" to describe how fast I changed once I went on the gluten and I got kind of mad. :ph34r: He didn't mean to upset me but I guess it reminded him of people that change from normal to abnormal quickly. Ha ha. He suggested I contact the doctor if I still have trouble coping. Some abdominal TMI issues as well but I'm coping.

Mostly right now (after having boundless energy before) I just want to sleep. :)

Join eNewsletter

You could ask your doctor to suggest something to soothe your GI system.  Over here in the states I'd say try some Pepto Bismol but I don't know if they have Pepto or something like it in your neck of the woods.

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."

Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.

Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, eggplant, celery, strawberries, pistachios, and hard work. Have a good day! 🙂 Paul

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter

• Popular Now

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):
    Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):

Celiac.com Sponsors (A17-m):