Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lisamhanderson

Negative On Everything But Endomysial?

Does this make sense to anyone? I'm going to get the actual lab report tomorrow, but until then I'm going off of what the nurse told me. Negative for everything but weak positive for the edomysial antibody. From what I'm reading, this doesn't make any sense...

i have hashimoto's and my 3 year old was just diagnosed Celiac, which is why I got tested. 

Any help would be appreciated! 

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Let's see what tests were actually run and what the results were. It is possible that you are in the very early stages of Celiac Disease and havent built up enough antibodies yet? If that is the case, you could continue eating gluten and get tested again in 6 months to a year?

Join eNewsletter

Yes, I'm continuing with eating gluten as they're going to redo the blood test and I don't want to skew the results. I am 5 weeks pregnant and I'm reading that if I do have celiac that it can be damaging to the fetus to continue with a gluten containing diet. So, there's a bit of anxiety there... I am pretty good at Googling answers to things like this usually, but this seems to be an anomaly. 

Thanks for the reply. I'll just have to be patient and wait for the next set of labs! 

Join eNewsletter

Yes, I'm continuing with eating gluten as they're going to redo the blood test and I don't want to skew the results. I am 5 weeks pregnant and I'm reading that if I do have celiac that it can be damaging to the fetus to continue with a gluten containing diet. So, there's a bit of anxiety there... I am pretty good at Googling answers to things like this usually, but this seems to be an anomaly. 

Thanks for the reply. I'll just have to be patient and wait for the next set of labs!

Oh.... I did not know about the tadpole! That's trickier. I think, I would be gluten-free and worry about re- testing and eating gluten a year from now. Just my opinion.

Join eNewsletter

I think I would go gluten-free too, just to be safe.  Autoantibodies tend to linger in the blood stream anyways, so going gluten-free sooner rather than later is a good idea.

I've seen 2 or 3 people have a positive EMA IgA with a negative tTG IgA in the past few years on this board.  It is not common, but it does happen.

That test is VERY specific for celiac disease, 98-100% specific, so if you have a positive, you most likely have celiac disease.  A 0-2% chance that positive was caused by something else... That's pretty slim.

See page 12 of this report for the details: http://www.worldgastroenterology.org/assets/export/userfiles/2012_Celiac%20Disease_long_FINAL.pdf

Plus you have a family history of celiac disease, and Hashi's which is strongly linked to celiac disease (I have it myself), and some symptoms too?.  I'd say that is celiac disease.  I don't believe in coincidences in medicine anymore.... Coincidence is doctor-ese for "I'm not 100% sure what is going on" or "I wasn't trained in this".   :rolleyes:

Best wishes and welcome to the board  :)

Nicole 

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993

Celiac - June, 2012

Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter