This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Symptoms Keep Flaring Up After Getting Glutened Two Weeks Ago, Need Help!

foggycoeliac79

foggycoeliac79 Newbie

Hi there, first time posting on this site.

Just a quick thing before I start, I had a gluten sensitivity/coeliac (haven't been tested, but I now it's bad for me at this point as I will explain) since early childhood, which screwed up my school life and damaged me mentally before I decided to simply skip on eating toast last September. Since then I have been on a gluten free diet and I haven't felt better (getting the other issues in my life sorted, so it's all good!) before in my entire life. 

Let's get to why I came here.

Two weeks ago I ate a Rib Eye Steak at a restaurant, the first time going to a restaurant since I discovered I had a gluten sensitivity. Most of the food on the menu had gluten to some extent, cross contamination or just naturally contained it. After eating the steak, I felt pretty bad. But the symptoms went within an hour or so (it was just an unpleasant fatigue, similar to how I used to feel when eating gluten, so I knew what it was) and at that point I assumed my gluten sensitivity depended on how much gluten I eat on a daily basis. Oh...how wrong was I.

The next evening, just as I went to bed, a terrible headache struck. Along with abdominal discomfort, acid reflux and flu-like symptoms, I felt like hell. This isn't something I have had at all since starting the gluten free diet, so I immediately knew what the symptoms were caused by.

For the next week, the symptoms would come and go. Most of the time I wouldn't feel them all that much, then around early evening I may feel fatigue, worse brain fog and sometimes abdominal discomfort. This did sometimes happen earlier in the day.

My stool quality is worse than usual, now constipated most of the time. This could be because I am experimenting with my diet though so it may be unrelated. 

Now two weeks later, most of the symptoms are gone. But I am still getting waves of fatigue in the early evenings. I read that sometimes the symptoms can take over two weeks to go, but I didn't think they could come and go in this manner?

I would really appreciate an answer since I am fretting over this, can symptoms from gluten exposure occur in this manner? Especially if you are a few months into a gluten free diet? 

For further clarification, my diet hasn't changed much and the only things I ate recently that are a bit different than usual is raspberry jam and Quinoa. Only had the latter one and the Raspberry Jam after the glutening. May remove the jam for a few days to see what happens. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

Welcome!

Everyone is different. But a single glutening can trigger a response that can last for weeks.

I wish you well.

foggycoeliac79 Newbie

Welcome!

Everyone is different. But a single glutening can trigger a response that can last for weeks.

I wish you well.

Normally I hate shorter responses, but I think that said enough! :D

I will try doing a paleo diet for a while to see if that speeds up the recovery. I live off mostly vegetables and meats already, gotta cut out the gluten-free cakes. 

w8in4dave Community Regular

I agree, Next time you go out make sure you tell them you are Celiac, even if your intolerant. That way they can be sure not to cc.

foggycoeliac79 Newbie

I agree, Next time you go out make sure you tell them you are Celiac, even if your intolerant. That way they can be sure not to cc.

I will just bring some home-made gluten free food with me just in case. 

It's not worth being glutened if the symptoms can last for this length of time. I don't know how gluten could have gotten on the steak, according to the allergy information on the website it contains trace amounts of wheat?

Whatever the reason for that, it's ridiculous how easily food is cross contaminated with gluten. 

Archived