Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zebra007

Some Questions

Hey I have a few questions if that's okay.

I have extremely dry facial skin, its bad.  This morning I slapped on Vaseline, and then applied more half an hour later, I think I am drinking enough water, and I know I am eating well and taking the correct vitamins, it could of course be linked to my other ailments, but I thought I would ask here first if its a symptom that other people have with Gluten intolerance.

I have had a rash on my back that runs along my spine for years, probably ten, I have never had it diagnosed, I just thought it was Lichen Planus, which I also have!  it probably is actually....I looked at some pics online, people with dermatitis herpetiformis on their back, and the rash looked similar except mine distinctly follows my spine all the way down, only on my spine...whereas in the pics it is dotted all over the back.  .Would I need to go to a dermatologist to be tested for sure and what is the procedure, is it painful, I would really kind of like to know what it is now.

Recently I found out I am intolerant to Casein in Dairy, is there anybody else on this site that is the same and that can recommend a good site to go to for help and advice sometimes.  For example I started taking Wellbutrin two days ago, I think I have been feeling depressed for a while, and because it has dairy derivatives in it I took a lactose and protein enzyme, to counteract the effect of the tablet.  It sounds a bit silly really, but I felt it was probably the best plan of action.

Diagnosed Ulcerative Colitis Feb 2014 (in remission)

Diagnosed Lichen Schlerosus May 2014

Diagnosed GERD Aug 2014  

Gluten free from Sept 2014

Dairy free from Dec 2014

Sulfite free from Sept 2015

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I can only say I take Wellbutrin for depression as well. Over a year now.  Its really great. I cannot comment on the dairy thing as I am a mutant and can digest it with ease. The Wellbutrin will take about 2-3 WHOLE weeks before you really really begin to start feeling great. The first couple of weeks it makes you extra hyper and it may be hard to sleep. I get mine without the extended release. It is easier to digest (according to my surgeon) and If I want to try weaning myself from it, it will be easier. I often forget to take the 3rd pill until too late at night and so I just do not take it (or I will be awake all night running in place). Also... *coughS*  it REALLLLLY revs up your libido. uhmm yeah...

Join eNewsletter

Lactose (milk sugar) intolerance is not the same as casein (milk protein) intolerance or allergy. Avoidance is best.

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

MycasMommy..I am in Costa Rica, and therefore everything is very limited in terms of what you can buy, whether that is Meds or food.  They dont have the 100mg tablets, and only appear to have the 150mg and 300mg tablet here, and these are the extended release, but I can ask next time I pick up some more if they have them without the extended release, but I doubt it, and so I have been taking the 150mg in the morning and in a couple of days plan on taking another in the afternoon, so I will then be on the 300mg strength.  Is that what you are taking?  Anyway I need something, I was doing fine, battling on, but the Dairy thing tipped me over the edge I think, its actually quite hard, depressing, not taking any Dairy, and I think it was the final straw.  Last night I was crying over my plate of healthy nibbles, and so I do need something.

cycling lady..Yes I know your right, but I am hoping the enzyme I am taking with the table which states it covers lactose and protein intolerance might be okay, I think I will look further online for more information on this.

Diagnosed GERD Aug 2014  

Dairy free from Dec 2014

Join eNewsletter

I just looked.  I take 3 100mg tablets every day.. sometimes I do not take the last one because I forget until it is too late at night, but it does not seem to be a very big deal and my mood is up and I remain steady. :)

Join eNewsletter

Thanks a lot..I appreciate your thoughts.  I am having trouble sleeping, but as you say that should pass, and hopefully my libido will return!  :D   

I looked on line again yesterday and it says that Wellbutrin does not contain lactose! and so I think there is some conflicting information out there, but anyway I am relieved about that.

Diagnosed GERD Aug 2014  

Dairy free from Dec 2014

Join eNewsletter

Youre very welcome.  Yes the trouble sleeping will, indeed, pass.  Unless you start taking that second dose too late in the afternoon.  So just be very mindful of it.  You will start feeling like you want to work hard and get things done with a great gusto of energy too.  I use that to help me sleep at night. :D  The libido thing though.. jeeezzzzz.. be careful!! hahahah I DID warn you.  :D

Join eNewsletter

some people do great with the welbutrin - my sister loooved it.  i tried taking it to quit smoking, and it kicked my butt :(  it made me increasingly depressed and by the time i got to the dosage level that my doc was working me up to, i was suicidal <completely and totally NEVER like me.  it scared the daylights out of my husband and i called my doc and she said stop taking it right now.  wierd that i had no withdrawal, or if i did, it felt better than when i was on it.  

not trying to scare you, just be aware.  like i said, it worked wonders for my sister.  i hope it works for you, too :)  ps - i had the exact opposite result with my libido.  mine is normally over-active and it made me not interested....

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Join eNewsletter

some people do great with the welbutrin - my sister loooved it.  i tried taking it to quit smoking, and it kicked my butt :(  it made me increasingly depressed and by the time i got to the dosage level that my doc was working me up to, i was suicidal <completely and totally NEVER like me.  it scared the daylights out of my husband and i called my doc and she said stop taking it right now.  wierd that i had no withdrawal, or if i did, it felt better than when i was on it.  

not trying to scare you, just be aware.  like i said, it worked wonders for my sister.  i hope it works for you, too :)  ps - i had the exact opposite result with my libido.  mine is normally over-active and it made me not interested....

Oh my goodness!!! :o

I am so sorry it went so badly for you.  It does say if you feel that way to call right away etc.  I am glad you knew what to do.  Buproprion HCL (Wellbutrin) is in a class by itself on the depression drug chart.  It works ina very different way from the other options. There is a lot of great literature on it if you want to look it up.  The way I understand it, it goes around the "back way" as far as the chemicals in your brain.  I am sorry to hear you had such a bad experience.  It is usually the other depression medications that kill the libido. Why cant you be normal?  ( I am JOKING!!!!)

Join eNewsletter

Wellbutrin has generics, and there are likely multiple manufacturers of these, in the various strengths and IR/SR/XL.  If one has lactose, check out another one, it may not.  

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)

I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Join eNewsletter

Hey thanks a lot folks...I did read a lot of info on Wellbutrin before taking it, and so its interesting to hear of two very different stories/effects, I guess it confirms what I read.   I will definitely watch my mood and see how I go!

On a happy note, today I found a store that stocks fresh Silk Almond milk!!! the stuff they have on the shelves in the supermarket is either Soy or it contains some additives that aren't all that good for me, and so I felt ridiculously happy about that. I had been making my own milk from Almonds, and that is nice to do sometimes, but it was getting ridiculously expensive and a bit tiresome. :D

Diagnosed GERD Aug 2014  

Dairy free from Dec 2014

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter

• Popular Now

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):
    Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):

Celiac.com Sponsors (A17-m):