Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

StacyLynch

How Long Before Testing Should I Restart Gluten

We are waiting for approval to a allergist. My son has daily seizures, and he had a 3 day cluster this week. They were so bad he almost had to be admitted. We have recent labs below. It might not be celiac but maybe gluten sensitive or another food allergy. Its be 20 years of seizures.  I know he needs to eat gluten for the testing but he has not had  a seizure in 2 days and this is rare. I don't want to restart gluten right now. It could take weeks to get the testing approved. If he keeps doing well like now i'm hoping that will also give the dr. a reason to test him more. How long before testing for celiac for food intolerance should I start gluten again? Below is the diagnosis from blood work for a primary care.

Diagnosis
1) 345.9 Seizure
2) 279.9 Immune Mechanism Unspecified Disorders
3) 579.8 Food Intolerances
4) 279.01 IgA  Selective Deficiency
5) 277.9 Neurotransmitter Disorder

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

You don't need an allergist to test for celiac disease. Celiac is not an allergy but an autoimmune disease.  Any GP should be able to run the tests for you on Monday so you can start a gluten-free trial soon (once testing is done).

These are all of the celiac disease tests available:

• tTG IGA and tTG IgG (tissue transglutaminase) - the most common tests done
  • DGP IgA and DGP IgG (deaminated gliadin peptides) - good test for detecting early celiac disease
  • EMA IgA or IgG (endomysial antibodies) - similar to the tTG tests but detects more advanced disease
  • AGA IGA and AGA IgG (anti-gliadin antibodies) - older and less reliable tests largely replaced by the DGP tests
  • endoscopic biopsy - 6+ samples taken

Blood tests usually include a total serum IgA to check if the patient is IgA deficient, like your son.  1 in 20 celiacs is IgA deficient (compared to about 1 in 700 in the regular population), and this affect all IgA based tests (DGP IgA, tTG IgA, EMA IgA, AGA IgA) and cause false negatives even if he is a celiac.  Your son will have to rely solely on the IgG based tests (tTG IgG, DGP IgG, etc), or the biopsy, for a diagnosis of celiac disease.

... The fact that he is low in IgA slightly indicates that it could be celiac disease (because it is common among celiacs) but it is in no way diagnostic.

See a GP and get the IgG based tests run, skip the others, and do it soon.  If he is gluten-free for long, he will have to complete a gluten challenge of 1-2 slices of bread per day, or the equivalent, for 2 to 3 months before he can attempt accurate testing.  Don't go gluten-free now or you will be making him consume gluten for more time in the long run.

Since his seizures may be related to celiac disease, hopefully a doctor will hurry him in and get the testing done more quickly. :(

Best wishes to you both.

Nicole 

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993

Celiac - June, 2012

Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Join eNewsletter

This report (pages 8-12) has good information on testing: http://www.worldgastroenterology.org/assets/export/userfiles/2012_Celiac%20Disease_long_FINAL.pdf

It's a good one to take to the doctor.

Nicole 

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993

Celiac - June, 2012

Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Join eNewsletter

I am so confused. He already had the labs below done, and we have the results

IgG with 4  subclasses 1,2,3 & 4          Cpt code: 82784, 82787 x 4                            L  Corp :  IgA with 2 subclasses                           82784, 82787 x2                                                                  IgG w/subs: 209601 IgD                                                           82784          IgA w/subs: 823270 IgM                                                           82784         IgD: 002162 Dx codes 279.3 IgM: 001792

Unspecified immunity deficiency 

Then from the results the dr. said in his diagnosis (below)

So that test above with diagnosis is only a indicator to test for celiac disease right? I am seriously only 2-3 days into researching this.                                                                         

Join eNewsletter

He did NOT get tested for celiac disease.

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

He did NOT get tested for celiac disease.

Thank you for the info. We actually see his neurologist on Tuesday, way before an allergist approval will be done. I am going to bring her the lab results from the primary care showing the diagnosis below.

Then I will ask to be tested for celiac disease. 20 years of uncontrolled seizures I hope she authorizes this. 

Join eNewsletter

I think the diagnosis means that he MIGHT have issues with food intolerances (like dairy,etc.). He might have something wrong with his immune system, but that does not necessarily mean that he has an autoimmune disorder, like celiac disease.

Research celiac disease. There is a link between celiac disease and epilepsy. Celiac disease has 300 possible symptoms. It can affect three areas of the body:

1. Skin

2. Intestinal Tract/Malabsorption issues affecting joints, vitamin defciencies, etc.

3. Brain or Nervous System

Please keep researching celiac disease. Since you are going to see your allergist, he can order the complete celiac panel (not sure how your insurance works). Or you can go to your GP/PCP for testing.

I think finding research in how celiac disease can cause epilepsy is your best means of getting tested.

Anemia -- Resolved

Diabetes -- January 2014

Join eNewsletter

Have him keep eating gluten until you get the celiac panel done. I can appretiate that you have seen a couple seizure free days and are reluctant to start him back on gluten but if the seizures are related to celiac he may have a severe reaction when you add gluten in again if he has been gluten free for very long.

Has he had a brain MRI recently? Celiac that attacks the brain can cause something called UBOs or unidentified bright objects. They show up as bright white spots on an MRI. Not all neurologists are aware of this. Mine wasn't so it delayed my diagnosis for a couple of years. I don't have a link but a search should bring up some info.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Join eNewsletter

Reports like this from a reputable site might build your case in requesting celiac testing.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17122729

http://celiacdisease.about.com/od/CeliacNeuroSymptoms/a/Gluten-And-Epilepsy.htm

Anemia -- Resolved

Diabetes -- January 2014

Join eNewsletter

Yes, there are many children who have finally been seizure free after going gluten free, even being negative for celiac.  Do you know if a neurologist can order a celiac panel?  Do you know if being off gluten for only 5 days would alter the test?  Yes, he has had many MRI's I never thought to ask about Celiac.

Join eNewsletter

Any medical doctor can order the celiac blood panel. Make sure the complete panel is ordered. They often just order a shorter version to save on costs. If I had not had the complete panel, I never would have received a diagnosis. Not sure how your insurance handles it though. They may want a GI to order it.

Five days of being gluten free should not affect testing. Just get him back in gluten.

If celiac disease is ruled out, then I would strongly suggest going gluten free for up to six months. This forum can help guide you through he gluten free process. It is not just about making sure gluten in not in his food (cross contamination, hidden gluten , etc.)

Anemia -- Resolved

Diabetes -- January 2014

Join eNewsletter

I actually printed out the two links you sent me (BELOW)  last night. We have been lucky that the Drs. have always approved my lab requests even thought we have never had a answer. They have always seen my frustration.  I have 6 children and their l lives are altered so much due to this refractory epilepsy. They are trooper t hough.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17122729

http://celiacdisease.about.com/od/CeliacNeuroSymptoms/a/Gluten-And-Epilepsy.htm

Join eNewsletter

Hang in there, Mom! It is great that you are such a good advocate for your son and other children!

Anemia -- Resolved

Diabetes -- January 2014

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter