Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CeliacMommaX2

2 Kiddos With Celiac... Gluten While Pregnant

I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this question since I do not have celiac myself.

I have 2 children who have celiac, so I feel like the odds of another would be high (anyone know if that's the case?)  My husband and I both have tested negative (we have NOT done any genetic testing).  Our household is strictly gluten free now. 

Is there any danger to me and the baby if I go ahead and remain gluten free for the pregnancy and post-partum time? 

Is there any research on when to introduce gluten or can I just hold off on gluten until the baby is older and ready to do a gluten trial to test for celiac?

Thank you!

Mom to 2 young kids with celiac, diagnosed March 2015

*Gluten free household

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Sorry this reply is so late. As long as you are getting good nutrition there is no problem with you being gluten free while pregnant. If you do need the diet for medical reasons then eating gluten could definately cause issues so IMHO it is better being safe than sorry. 

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Join eNewsletter

There should be not issues remaining gluten free during your pregnancy, postpartum, and while lactating as long as you are eating a healthy diet. I would even keep baby on a gluten-free diet to give him or her the best chance of developing and growing. Think about a gluten challenge prior to school years perhaps.

There really has not been enough research to help guide you unfortunately!

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

Gluten is not needed nutritionally by humans, at all.  The only reason foods made from wheat, and gluten containing flours, are healthy is because they are fortified with vitamins and minerals (added after processing).  You can get all of those vitamins and minerals, and fibre, from veggies, fruits and meats.  Going without grains is perfectly healthy; the only people who would need to be careful are vegans (and some vegetarians) since they would be getting some of their protein from gluten.

The same goes for young children - they don't need it at all.  If worried, find a multivitamin.

Nicole 

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993

Celiac - June, 2012

Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Join eNewsletter

Oh, your research might show that by going gluten-free, many people miss out on valuable nutrients. That is true for those that survive on a junk food diet! I suspect you do not fall into that category (not that I never eat a chip, but those are considered treats and saved for parties or emergency foo while on the road!

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter