Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

ThisIsMyUserName

Elimination Diet Timing

Rate this topic

So I'm on a full-on elimination and reintroduction diet, tacking everything and looking for correlations. It would be extremely helpful if I had an idea how long symptoms can last after a reaction, and there's a lot of conflicting information on this board and all over the place. I know reactions can take many hours to occur, but could it be days? Weeks? What's a good timeframe to use? Thanks!

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Food reactions usually start within minutes up to 72 hours later.  Symptoms may last hours to weeks depending on what they are.

I'm sure others who know more will chime in.  Good luck.  :)

Nicole 

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993

Celiac - June, 2012

Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Join eNewsletter

I am lucky as my symptoms usually appear within 1/2 hour of consuming certain foods. Symptoms usually last a full day. I can tell by how my body feels when I wake up in the morning.  Three years later I am still playing with what bugs me - as in full denial over some food choices. I am talking to you potatoes!

My body took 2-3 years before I felt really good on my diet change. A full week of bad eating brings me down but it rarely happens. BTW, I am fully gluten and cow dairy free and have been for many years. It's the other stuff that does me in now (corn, nightshades, citrus, soy).

Join eNewsletter

My symptoms start at different times. Nausea within about a half hour. That is usually gone within half a day. The D starts the next day and the psoriasis flares about eight hours later. The D lasts about three weeks. The psoriasis flares for at LEAST three weeks. Hiccups start soon and last a few weeks (I get them several times a day during that time.)

The reason you see such conflicting info about it is because it's different for everybody. Generally speaking, you should wait until you're feeling good and then reintroduce one food a week. Just about everyone here would know within two or three days if they are going to have a reaction. So once a week. It takes a long long time to figure it out and get back to eating a varied diet but it really the only good way to go about it.

gluten-free since June, 2011

It took 3 !/2 years but my intolerances to corn, soy, and everything else (except gluten) are gone!

Life is good!

Join eNewsletter

When my doctor put me on a strict elimination diet he had me add back a food, in as 'pure' of a form as possible, three times a day for a week before I could consider it a safe food. If I had a reaction I wasn't allowed to add anything else new in until the reaction was over. 

I have a symptom 'cascade' with gluten that starts within a day and D hits on day 3. Total symptoms last about 3 weeks. 

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Join eNewsletter