Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Karli bose

Synthyroid For Thyroid Contains Gluten

Rate this topic

Hello all, I have been diagnosed with celiac last September and I should admit it is a hell road for me .. From severe acid reflux to difficulty in breathing, brain fog and fatigue... Beside that once I got diagnosed with celiac I did my best to go for gluten free but I lost 20+ pounds and look sick . I am trying my level best to eat more calories but seems it is not helping.. Last week I went for a check up and then the doc said " let me change your medicine synthyroid... The binding of the medicine contains gluten.. She prescribed me some gel form capsules... Also seems dairy brings my breathing issue and after all this it seems to start over from beginning and I am already tired ... With two kids and job everything seems to be so hard...I feel like it's like never ending.. Can anyone of you tell me what should I include in my diet that given me energy and extra calories and also gluten and dairy free.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

So you have been taking a thyroid replacement all this time and it contains gluten? No wonder you are so sick! Please make sure to call the manufacturer each time you get a prescription filled or purchase an OTC supplement/med. Hard to do when you are so sick, I know!

You should feel better soon. In the meantime eat fat! Add coconut oil to your coffee. Eat the fattiest cuts of meat, eat that crispy chicken skin, add oils where you can (olive oil on roasted asparagus, for example). Do not worry about cholesterol levels now. You need to gain weight! Your thyroid meds should help you with the fatigue. Try to rest as much as possible. Not sure how old your kids are, but get them to help even with little tasks.

Hang in there!

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

And avoid dairy at all costs! While it's true that many of us can't digest dairy until we are healed, it sounds to me that you may have an allergy to dairy. It often does cause problems with folks who have asthma and is known to increase mucus in the respiratory system.

gluten-free since June, 2011

It took 3 !/2 years but my intolerances to corn, soy, and everything else (except gluten) are gone!

Life is good!

Join eNewsletter

Synthroid isn't not gluten free- it's just "not guaranteed" to be gluten-free any more.  I don't think there was gluten in it from my memory and checking the list but I think they have just gone CYA and are now saying they won't guarantee it. 

FWIW- We use Mylan brand here.  There are also many adults on here who really prefer the more natural (Thyroid Shield I believe) for thyroid issues. 

Join eNewsletter

So you have been taking a thyroid replacement all this time and it contains gluten? No wonder you are so sick! Please make sure to call the manufacturer each time you get a prescription filled or purchase an OTC supplement/med. Hard to do when you are so sick, I know!

You should feel better soon. In the meantime eat fat! Add coconut oil to your coffee. Eat the fattiest cuts of meat, eat that crispy chicken skin, add oils where you can (olive oil on roasted asparagus, for example). Do not worry about cholesterol levels now. You need to gain weight! Your thyroid meds should help you with the fatigue. Try to rest as much as possible. Not sure how old your kids are, but get them to help even with little tasks.

Hang in there!

Join eNewsletter

Thank you so much @cyclinglady... Yes they says most of the binding in medicine contains gluten so she changed it to Tirosint gel capsules... It does feel a little good now and but the blood work came with the result of low iron she ashes me to work with the pharmacist and get a glutenfree supplement for 300... Do you know any brands that is good iron supplement and glutenfree

Join eNewsletter

Country life is at least certified gluten-free. I am sure there are others, but with what you have been through, I think an iron tablet that is certified is best instead of relying on the statement "no gluten". Just my opinion.

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

I am just going to remind people that saying something is gluten free doesn't mean it is " certified" or even tested. Some companies do their own testing. Some just label things with no gluten ingredients " gluten free".

Also, according to a recent study, and it made sense to me, almost no medications use gluten as a binder. I will see if I can find that.

https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/110762-chance-of-gluten-in-meds-very-low/

Join eNewsletter