Rate this topic

I have problems with:

Anxiety

Depression

Low Iron

Anger

Low platelets

Inflammation

My blood sugar can sometimes bottom out.

I have had  depression since I was a teenager. My Iron the last time I was tested it was 32. 

I want to get tested since when I tried gluten-free before most of these symptoms at least improved. I know I need blood work but have no clue as to what test I need.  Can you help me figure out what ones to ask my doctor to run? I am supplementing my Iron my Dr wants to see if the iron improves.

My blood sugar can be fine one minute and like 39 the next. This happens mostly after I eat pasta I have told my doctors about that and they did nothing.

Gluten free since 2013.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi Cherries!

Here is the list of celiac tests but you have to be consuming gluten in order for the tests to work. Like 1 to 2 slices of bread a day for 8 to 12 weeks!

-Tissue Transglutaminase (tTG) IgA and (tTG) IgG

-Deamidated Gliadin Peptide (DGP) IgA and (DGP) IgG

-EMA IgA

-total serum IgA and IgG (control test)

-AGA IGA and AGA IgG - older and less reliable tests largely replace by the DGP tests

-endoscopic biopsy - make sure at least 6 samples are taken

(Source: NVSMOM -- )

The University of Chicago's celiac website is a great site for information including a gluten challenge. You would think that being gluten-free would resolve you low iron levels. Mine went back to normal within a few months of being on the diet (at least within the range! ).

Welcome to the forum and let us know how it goes!

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

cherries, it's imperative that you eat gluten (1 to 2 slices of bread per day) for the 8 to 12 weeks or else you will have a false negative on your blood tests. We really can't stress that enough.

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Dermatitis Herpetiformis

Reynaud's October 2018

Rheumatoid Arthritis October 2018

Join eNewsletter

Be aware that food sensitivity reactions can happen within minutes to 3 days after consuming the offending food. Especially the types of symptoms that you describe.

best wishes.

Nicole 

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993

Celiac - June, 2012

Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Join eNewsletter

Be aware that food sensitivity reactions can happen within minutes to 3 days after consuming the offending food. Especially the types of symptoms that you describe.

best wishes.

Thanks I went to the Dr and of course they tried to dismiss me again. I had my mother with me this time and she told them they listened and said it was reactive hypoglycemia. They then told me to try a gluten free diet. 

Gluten free since 2013.

Join eNewsletter

No tests ordered?  :(

My reactive hypoglycemia symptoms were mostly eliminated after I started a low carb diet to address prediabetes and inflammation.  I no longer get large blood glucose swings.  Adding proteins to your carbs will help stop the swings somewhat too.

Nicole 

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993

Celiac - June, 2012

Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Join eNewsletter

No tests ordered?  :(

My reactive hypoglycemia symptoms were mostly eliminated after I started a low carb diet to address prediabetes and inflammation.  I no longer get large blood glucose swings.  Adding proteins to your carbs will help stop the swings somewhat too.

No they were more than willing to yell at me for not taking my multi vitamin because my vitamin d is low. They gave me a 50,000 unit weekly dose calling it a low dose.

Gluten free since 2013.

Join eNewsletter