Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Victor10

Gluten Intolerance?

Rate this topic

About a week ago I had some stomach aches and had D about two times. Did a BRAT diet and it helped but I noticed when I would eat crackers or toast that my stomach would bloat and burn. I got my D under control but then the lack of fiber caused some C and bloating/trapped gas.

Fast forward to today my latest symptoms are stomach bloating and burning in the middle of my abdomen. It's not a crazy pain but its very uncomfortable. When I eat it gets better.

I'm not sure if its a stomach ulcer or Gluten intolerance.

I have no bloody or black stools, no vomiting, no nausea or heart burn. Just bloating and abdominal pain/burning.

I have suffered from IBS symptoms for as long as I can remember and recently became lactose intolerant and now I'm wondering if I have been gluten intolerant all along also and now its hurting full effect.

I have a doctors appointment scheduled already for Thurs.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi Victor and welcome

When I finally got gastro symptoms I had that same burning sensation and suddenly dairy products were giving me D (although at the time I didn't dream it was celiac disease).  I always considered that I had a nervous stomach but just didn't put all these things together.

I think it is great you are seeing the doctor Thursday. Please ask to be tested for celiac disease and let us know how you get on.

Diagnosed by blood test and endoscopy Spring 2013

Adopted a gluten-free diet in May 2013

BRITISH

Join eNewsletter

MAKE SURE YOU CONTINUE EATING A FULL GLUTEN DIET UNTIL ALL TESTING IS COMPLETE.

Here are the tests for celiac disease:

-Tissue Transglutaminase (tTG) IgA and (tTG) IgG
-Deamidated Gliadin Peptide (DGP) IgA and (DGP) IgG
-EMA IgA
-total serum IgA and IgG (control test)
-AGA IGA and AGA IgG - older and less reliable tests largely replace by the DGP tests

-endoscopic biopsy - make sure at least 6 samples are taken

(Source: NVSMOM -- )

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Dermatitis Herpetiformis

Reynaud's October 2018

Rheumatoid Arthritis October 2018

Join eNewsletter

Oh no I had stopped Gluten for the last two days. I'm scared of the pain that may come although I know majority would be in my head now that I self diagnosed myself.

I'll be sure to tell the doctor about these tests.

The bloating seemed to come down after drinking alot of water and peppermint tea.

I also realized I was taking Gas X chewable which contains gluten.

Join eNewsletter

If you go off gluten then you will have to do a gluten challenge which is specified here:

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/archives/faq/what-is-a-gluten-challenge

Where in the world did you get that Gas X chewables contain gluten????? They do not.

Here is a link for you to read:

https://celiac.org/live-gluten-free/glutenfreediet/gluten-medication/

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Dermatitis Herpetiformis

Reynaud's October 2018

Join eNewsletter

If those threads are old they could be worthless. Ingredients change & one has to check, not just rely on old threads or someone's suspicion or paranoia.

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Dermatitis Herpetiformis

Reynaud's October 2018

Join eNewsletter

Yes, it's possible. It is quite common for celiacs to have really severe reactions if they have gluten after having gone gluten free. Besides needing to stay on gluten for the tests this is why we tell people DO NOT go gluten free until testing is complete & that includes an endoscopy. Despite our advice a lot of people decide they will go gluten-free until close to the time of the testing & they end up either testing negative or having such severe reactions they can not continue with the gluten until testing so they screw themselves up by not listening. A lot of docs will tell patients to go gluten-free before the tests because the docs DON'T KNOW the rules so even if a doc tells you it will be okay DON'T listen. 

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Dermatitis Herpetiformis

Reynaud's October 2018

Join eNewsletter

Good luck with the tests and the gluten challenge.  Don't overdo the gluten, you only need the equivalent of 1-2 slices of bread per day.  Some people find it helpful to leave the gluten until later in the day so their day is not as disrupted,

Nicole 

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993

Celiac - June, 2012

Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Join eNewsletter