Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

von

Celiac and Acne

Rate this topic

Hi guys,

I was diagnosed with Celiac disease in May but from when I started to notice differences in my health I think I really developed the condition in early 2012. One thing I have noticed during that time is that I suffer from acne (including cystic) and more severe rosacea than before. I am 23 now and never really suffered from acne in high school so it is very frustrating to have it now! Has anyone else found this to be an issue related to Celiac? I am hesitant to start any harsh treatment like Accutane if its really just from the Celiac as I'm still in the recovery phase. Has anyone found anything that worked for them? My main symptom of Celiac is vitamin/nutrient deficiency (diagnosed with iron, B12, and D3 but there could be more). I got 50 mg zinc tablets as I read that zinc deficiency is related to acne but I'm not sure that I am deficient since that was never diagnosed (but don't think its been checked). Should I give those a try? After buying them I read more information saying its bad to take them if you're not deficient and can lead to copper deficiency so now I'm hesitant haha!

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I've not seen any studies that directly link celiac disease with acne but it is possible that it could be related. I had issues with acne and high school and into my 20s which went away when I went gluten-free. I can't be 100% sure the two are related but I do think it's possible.

Scott Adams

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Founder Celiac.com

Join eNewsletter

Do you think it could be sugar related?  Many gluten-free products are higher in sugar...

I recently cut sugar from my diet and was shocked at how my skin cleared up (it had become acne prone in the last 10 years).

Nicole 

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993

Celiac - June, 2012

Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Join eNewsletter

You can always test the zinc for a short period of time.  Make sure it is gluten free!  You are probably right that you could be low in other minerals and vitamins that your doctor did not test for.  I have Rosacea (even the ocular (eye) version.   I noticed that foods can cause a flare-up (e.g. red wine, garlic, etc)  Try keeping a journal. 

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

Hi there!

I have suffered with acne and cystic acne as well.  I think once you start to heal and the gluten gets out of your system you will notice an improvement. I know that my acne is mostly directly related to my diet and my stress. Keep taking the zinc and do everything your doctor says. In the meantime try to cut out gluten in as many sources as possible and also eliminate SUGAR. Read those labels you would be amazed what contains sugar... even the canned vegetables at the store. Take out the sugar and see how well your skin reacts. Also, if you can handle it try your best to take out DAIRY. I know the food elimination is overwhelming at first but you may be surprised how well you can get into a routine after a few months. Dairy is a huge culprit for acne for people who don't have Celiac's ;)  Go 2 weeks and see how your skin reacts after not eating these things and you may have found your cure!

Join eNewsletter

Hello, if you are interested in a non dietary acne treatment, may I recommend Effaclar K by Laroche Posay and the Effaclar spot treatment. My skin cleared up at least 95% on this product line; those two are the most effective for me. I also use the proactive refining mask once every week or two. After a decade of struggling with acne, I am finally free and will always keep these in stock!

Join eNewsletter