Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

CeliacMommaX2

e-mail to my daughter's girl scout troop

Rate this topic

I want to send an e-mail to my 5 year old's girl scout troop.  How does this sound?  Thanks!

Hi everyone!

I wanted to make you all aware that my daughter has celiac disease and must be strictly gluten free.  This involves avoided direct gluten (anything containing wheat, barley, or rye) and any items that may be cross-contaminated (from cutting boards, peanut butter containers, etc).  Celiac does not cause a medical emergency, but a crumb from a cracker can cause significant damage.  To avoid any risk or confusion, if you can let me know what snacks will be served then I can send her with something similar. 

Please let me know if you have any questions!  Thank you for helping me keep my child healthy!

Mom to 2 young kids with celiac, diagnosed March 2015

*Gluten free household

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I am a Girl Scout and my daughter is a Senior.   I am active in the troop and attend most meetings and events.  We have one troop member since Daisys who has a severe peanut and milk allergy.  We have always done our best to accommodate this girl.    We have taken the time to educate ourselves (epi pen) and keep her safe.  When we camp or have sleepovers, our meals are prepared around her.  But for me?  I bring all my own food.   Cooking for a celiac is just asking too much!  It is much harder!  I will say our council camp is great at accommodating celiacs, but the cooks have had extensive training.  

Remember, these folks are all volunteers.  I would suggest a face-to-face meeting with the troop leaders.  I would also recommend attending the first few meetings even if you have to take off a few hours from work.  See how the troop functions.  Provide a few links to some celiac  sites that discuss the disease and that talk about safe kitchens and the dangers of Play Doh!  ?   Then the troop leader can talk to the other girls about keeping your daughter safe.  Think about giving the leader a box of gluten-free cereal bars as a back-up in case  you forget to send a snack would be wise.  

Your daughter can have a wonderful Girl Scout experience!  

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

You need to add oats to the list..

Oats (unless certified gluten free)

?

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

I agree. A face to face meeting can only help, and adding oats to the list is a good idea.

I tend to ask that my kids not be given any food and send food along with them.  When they go to camp, I sent them a tonne of extra food, from grahm crackers to buns to premade sandwichs to muffins) so they would be safe.

Will your daughter speak up for herself there?  I've been a leader and coach before, and I hate to admit that I forgot some health issues of some of my kids.

Nicole 

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993

Celiac - June, 2012

Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Join eNewsletter