Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

CherylS

All done with biopsies

Rate this topic

I had EGD with biopsies and colonoscopy today.  I should have results of the biopsies by Thursday, I have follow up appointment with my doctor on January 21.

I truly believe I took a hit as a forming embryo and survived.  About 20 years ago I learned that I was born without a gallbladder.  

Today's EGD revealed that I have ectopic pancreas in my stomach.  It's congenital and harmless. It's just pancreatic tissue growing somewhere else in the GI tract.

My GI doctor wants to do a capsule endoscopy of my small intestine, I'm not sure why.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Great job getting through it!  Please do let us know when you get results.

The gallbladder thing is crazy...but at least you won't have to have surgery to have it removed like so many of us!

January 2014-Celiac

August 2014- Hashimoto's

"You never know how strong you are, until being strong is your only choice."

Bob Marley

Join eNewsletter

Awesome news!  Let us know what your results are like!

This is just a guess about the capsule endoscopy -  but he might want to see if anything else is missing/ out of place / everything is functioning how he things it should be.  

Did they schedule one already or are they waiting for the results of the first one? 

Join eNewsletter

12 hours ago, Celiac Nutritionist said:

Awesome news!  Let us know what your results are like!

This is just a guess about the capsule endoscopy -  but he might want to see if anything else is missing/ out of place / everything is functioning how he things it should be.  

Did they schedule one already or are they waiting for the results of the first one? 

I read the report of the colonoscopy.  It says "localized nodularity was noted in the cecum. Multiple cold forceps biopsies were performed for histology."  I'm trying to remain calm, but of course my brain goes to colon cancer.  She said there were no polyps, which gives me a little hope that I'm fine.  I think she probably wants to do the capsule endoscopy to look at my small intestine, especially the ileum since it's right next to the cecum.

The weirdest thing to me is that she told me that she didn't see anything on either procedure.  The EGD report talks about the ectopic pancreas and the colonoscopy talked about diverticulosis and the nodularity in the cecum.  I would think if you had to biopsy something and want further imaging it warrants telling the patient that you saw something potentially wrong.

I'm a nurse and know that diverticulosis isn't anything to be concerned about, so I'm not worried about that.

I'm waiting for insurance approval for capsule endoscopy.

Join eNewsletter

If you are talking about a visual confirmation of celiac disease, most doctors can not often see damage.  It should show up on the biopsies.   I had a Marsh Stage IIIB and yet my GI saw nothing wrong visually.  

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

13 hours ago, CherylS said:

I read the report of the colonoscopy.  It says "localized nodularity was noted in the cecum. Multiple cold forceps biopsies were performed for histology."  I'm trying to remain calm, but of course my brain goes to colon cancer.  She said there were no polyps, which gives me a little hope that I'm fine.  I think she probably wants to do the capsule endoscopy to look at my small intestine, especially the ileum since it's right next to the cecum.

The weirdest thing to me is that she told me that she didn't see anything on either procedure.  The EGD report talks about the ectopic pancreas and the colonoscopy talked about diverticulosis and the nodularity in the cecum.  I would think if you had to biopsy something and want further imaging it warrants telling the patient that you saw something potentially wrong.

I'm a nurse and know that diverticulosis isn't anything to be concerned about, so I'm not worried about that.

I'm waiting for insurance approval for capsule endoscopy.

When you are in the field, your mind always goes to the worst because you "know to much" - use your knowledge to research and logically think things through (which is super crazy difficult to do when its ourselves).    That is not very cool that she said she didnt see "anything"  - but maybe nothing of "concern" to her means nothing?       I hope your insurance comes through soon - any idea how long that will take for you?

Join eNewsletter

9 hours ago, cyclinglady said:

If you are talking about a visual confirmation of celiac disease, most doctors can not often see damage.  It should show up on the biopsies.   I had a Marsh Stage IIIB and yet my GI saw nothing wrong visually.  

There was some nodularity in my cecum, I think she wants the capsule endoscopy to make sure my small intestine doesn't have any nodules, since it's right there near the cecum.

Join eNewsletter