Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Sugarcube

Can treatment for Giardia reverse active Celiac

Rate this topic

Hi,

In a nutshell, encouraged by a >84% reduction in my tTg IgA level (4 weeks after treating giardia), I was wondering if celiac can reverse into latent celiac after treating Giardia? If so over what time period?

I’m a male in my 30s, with no family history of Celiac and I have not experienced any major celiac related symptoms.

In December 2015, I was diagnosed with Giardia (after a biopsy) and completed a course of a antibiotics

Although only a month has passed since taking the antibotics, I have noticed a major change in my blood tests results.  Does it seem possible that my celiac is becoming gradually latent rather than active? Perhaps Giardia led me to become temporarily gluten sensitive?

July 2015: Contracted Giardia from Asia.

August 2015: Blood tests (With Giardia) , whilst on a normal gluten diet

• Endomysial AB IGA: Positive
  • Gliadin IgG: Negative: 4.5 U/ml (Negative reference range <7)
  • Gliadin IgA:  Borderline/Equivocal:  8.8 U/ml (Negative reference range <7, Equivocal: 7 - 10)
  • t-Transglutaminase IgA:Positive: >128 U/ml (Normal reference range 0 - 10)
  • Reticulin IgA:  Positive
  • IGA: 3.35 g/L (Reference range 0.70-4.00)

January 2016: (Post treatment for Giardia), whilst on a normal gluten diet

• Endomysial AB IGA:  Positive
  • Gliadin IgG:  Negative: 5.0 U/ml (Negative reference range <7)
  • Gliadin IgA:  Negative:  3.7 U/ml (Negative reference range <7)
  • t-Transglutaminase IgA: Positive:  21 U/ml (Normal reference range 0 - 10)
  • Reticulin IgA: Negative
  • IGA: 2.89 g/L (Reference range 0.70-4.00)

Background Research:

"An active coeliac disease status, with intestinal mucosa atrophy, may regress to a latent coeliac"
"Serum anti-endomysial and anti-tTG antibody behaviour is not a permanent, life-long feature"

Edited by Sugarcube
Typo

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

SugarCube,

I saw your other posting today.  I can not believe that I missed your original posting!  Maybe I was doing something super fun that week (oh, my parents were visiting!).  

Your celiac blood panel was positive and you had intestinal damage that was caused by both celiac disease and Giardia?  After treating the Giardia, your CD resolved or went into remission?  Are you consuming a diet containing gluten still?  Have you had a follow-up biopsy?  

I read your link to the study, but that feature just one patient (a child).  Have you found any other larger studies?  Inquiring minds want to know!  ;)

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

I haven’t found any large scale studies on this, but only a handful of individual case reports suggesting that in rare cases giardia can temporarily mimic celiac (both the serology & villous atrophy) until it is treated.   I think this is a  complex matter as giardia effects patients differently (most are asymptomatic whilst others suffer from chronic symptoms including malabsorption) for reasons that may not be well understood.

In my case - My GI agrees that Giardia can directly cause villous atrophy that cannot be distinguished from Celiac.  As the healing of the villi can be a slow process, I will schedule a repeat endoscopy 6-12 months after my giardia was treated.  

Ttg antibodies can also take 6-12+months to completely normalise, especially if the starting levels are high. 6 months would have elapsed at the end of this month, so will schedule a repeat test, hoping for a normal Ttg result to prove the theory.  

I have decided to remain on a normal gluten diet until it can be proven that I’m a celiac and not just suffering from a giardia infection.  I have reason to be optimistic as my Gliadin IgA levels are negative (not iga deficient) and also given the sharp decrease in ttg levels 4 weeks after giardia was treated.

Join eNewsletter

So interesting!  Please keep us posted!  

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

I'm not a doctor or expert but I've done a lot of reading and I believe anything that causes major inflammation for the small intestine can cause false positives for celiac antibodies. Sometimes people with Crohn's will have positive celiac tests as well.  I wouldn't be surprised in the least that someone with a bad case of Giardia would come up positive.  Now, eventually, as you fully recover from the giardia infection you should go back to normal levels but if you don't you most likely have Celiac as well. 

From what I understand, Celiac doesn't go into remission though it can be latent in people for years. 

Abdominal Pain/GI symptoms started= ~01/02/2014

Gallbladder out= 02/20/14

tTG IgA Postive= 03/21/14

DX via Biopsy (Marsh 3b)= 04/21/14

Celiac Antibodies within Normal range(Gluten free diet)= 10/23/2014

Join eNewsletter