Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Ray12

Stomach sore from eating gluten free foods?

Rate this topic

Lately I have been beginning to wonder if I have celiac disease because I have found I have a lot of the symptoms. I’ve been thinking about making the transition to a gluten free diet to see if it helps relieve them but I remembered this one time my friend bought a box of gluten free cookies and let me try one. I don’t know why, but my stomach was out of control and I was left feeling sick with a horrible stomach pain for the rest of the day. None of my friends who also had the cookies experienced this. I thought maybe it was just a random occurrence, but I tried the cookies again a few weeks later to see if the same thing would happen again and it did. I don’t understand why my stomach doesn’t like these gluten free cookies. 

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Consider getting tested for celiac disease (an autoimmune disorder)  before you go gluten free.  Here is a link about it:

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/medical-professionals/screening

Going gluten free as a "test" is not usually very helpful.  That is because if you have celiac disease, it can take months to years, (yes, years), to heal.  So, it is hard to maintain the diet for years, if you have to wait that long to see results.  

Why would the gluten-free cookies bother you?  Well, they are junk food.  Filled with all kinds of ingredients you can not even pronounce.  You might be reacting to one of those ingredients (e.g. Xanthan Gum).   If you have celiac disease, it is hard to digest even normal foods until you heal.  

Hope you figure it out. 

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

I agree.  Since the cookie was gluten free, your body was reacting to something else.  I also think it's important to not self-diagnose/test because even if you feel better without gluten, you don't know if you are celiac or just have an intolerance to gluten and/or wheat. It's better to go through the testing. 

Join eNewsletter